BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Clean heat from a torpedo heater?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clean heat from a torpedo heater?
 Login/Join

posted
I salvaged the old parts washing fluid form work (agetine), after checking the specs in the msds I figured it would be worth trying it as a replacement for kero in my torpedo heater. It worked like a champ, last year I kept my garage pretty toasty for free. Problem is, with about any fuel, on cold days when it is on for a while it gets a tad toxic in there, I have it ducted to intake fresh air but that only helps so much.
I have quite a bit of this stuff and if there was a way to do some kind of heat transfer or something to where I wouldn't get any fumes it would be nice to use it to heat the house up a bit with it. I thought about large corrugated metal pipe as an exhaust out of a chimney but this seams pretty inefficient. Also thought about blasting it through a radiator then blowing a fan through another radiator remotely but don't know if i want to et into all that. Any ideas?

81 300sd

Location: Madison, Ohio | Registered: April 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
You could build one of these:
http://www.murphysmachines.com/boiler.html

I burn mostly vegetable oil and motor oil in it but it's capable of burning a bunch of different kinds of fuels.

I heat my shop, home and my hot water with it. Fully automated, works great.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
How picky is this as far as fuel goes? I have about 3oo gallons of nasty, thick veg that I have collected over the years that I want to burn. just wondering if it has to be a certain viscosity.

81 300sd

Location: Madison, Ohio | Registered: April 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
It will burn it just fine.

There are viscosity issues with all fuels and the design compensates for them.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA