BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Super simple WVO/BD/glycerin/WMO burner

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super simple WVO/BD/glycerin/WMO burner
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

Have any of you heard of the "Brute" burners designed by Lionel???

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners09.html

It is extremely easy to build and very effective/powerful (BTU/hr is massive). I'd say mine is around 1 million BTU/hr with the small blower (about 60 scfm). I haven't checked what my consumption rates are (3-5 gal/hr maybe???). It is a 2'' pipe, approx 3' long with a 3/8'' feed line (gravity fed). Room temp air is best for operation (too cold and it doesn't get up to full operating temp). No nozzles, tricky electronic/parts that can break (except for blower motor).

I actually use it to heat my hot tub (copper coil in fire pit with hottub water circulating through it). The "brute" warped my 1/4'' thick fire pit and melted the metal plate that the fuel is sprayed onto.

It runs perfectley on WMO (highest BTU/LB too). WVO and BD work great. For glycerin, i need about 10-20% propane continuosly added to achieve proper ignition temps (glycerin has a very high boiling point, even with the MeOH in the raw glycerin it still doesnt burn good by itself).

Other than that.....it is wicked. Burnt myself so many times. I have a lot of respect for it now!!!!

Let me know what you guys think.

thor.

Location: Edmonton | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DCS>
posted
I hadn't heard of it but I came up with a virtually identical design myself.
I use a vaccumm cleaner as the air source and feed the oil in from the blower end of the tube so the oil gets pre-heated but other than that we are obviously on the exact same page.

I can only say though that a small blower as you describe is NOT going to give you 1M BTU. That requires burning about 30L of WVO an hour and you need sufficient air to mix it with to get clean combustion. You also need the oil tank a good height above the burner to get the oil to flow that fast through gravity alone. Also necking the burner tube down will also cause some backpresure which will work against the oil flow so it needs to be a good height or the tank pressurized or the oil pumped.

I have been using my burner to heat my (normally) wood fired Pizza oven and at 500K BTU, it heats up about 4 times faster than I could ever warm it up with wood alone. I use brick instead of a metal plate to spray the oil onto because I burnt through steel in no time as well. The brick is much better but its amazing to see that I have melted that as well to the point of glazing it and creating a concave depression in it.

Because I am using the burner in a space to cook food, I prefer to use WVO but this is a bit finicky till things get good and hot. after that I just set the oil flow with a gate valve on the oil tank and can walk away and it burns beautifully until the oil supply becomes too low.

I am looking at building one of these into an old gas pool heater and using that to extend the swimming season for my kids and also maybe use the pool as a heat storage medium and just pump the warm water through radiators in the house to keep it warm.

I should only have to light the burner every few days for a couple of hours and use the heat in the water from there.

Here is a Video I made of my burner when testing it in a steel drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJcrPi4TUJs

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks DCS.

Yeah.....you're probably right. I think i just got a little too cocky (kinda like Tom Hanks on Cast Away when he made the fire for the first time!!!) lol.

Your #'s on Cfm/btu/gpm fuel seem logical.
The math for my system (hottub): 200 gal water heated from 50F to 100F in 3hrs with approx 10% (constant) effeciency at the fire pit with 200-300k btu/hr @ aprox 4 gal/hr. (this is way faster then wood!!!!

I'll have to switch to a brick like you did also (much more resilent).

Cool idea how to make Pizza!! I thought i was the only crazy guy out there!

Quote:

I am looking at building one of these into an old gas pool heater and using that to extend the swimming season for my kids and also maybe use the pool as a heat storage medium and just pump the warm water through radiators in the house to keep it warm.

This is exactly what i'm trying to do right now. I built a horzantal fire tube boiler (giant hot water tank) powered by a coal feeder unit, wood, (and my oil burner if i retro fit it in) with a 300 gal heat sink resevior tank on top of it. I plan on pumping hot water through radiators in my house, heating my BD shack, heating my hot tub.....and what ever else hot water can be used for in -40 temps here.

You're right.... the key is having a massive amount of water that you can draw heat off from so you dont have to fire up the damn boiler every few hrs. Simple, effective, easy.
(you live in Sydney....how short can your swimming season actually be!!!!!!!!!! lol).

Your burner is awsome!

Keep up the good work.

thor.

Location: Edmonton | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post