BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Home Insurance Isuues With Using B100 Heating Oil

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Insurance Isuues With Using B100 Heating Oil
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have an answer as to whether or not a home owners insurance would be voided if they were to use B100 as heating oil. My concern is that if a licensed boiler technician were to modify the seals and nozzle of a typical oil burner gun would that have any consequences for the home owner in the event of a fire? The OEM may void the original warranty of the boiler and this may effect the home owners insurance if there were a fire caused by the boiler. Any help would be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,really no more dangerous than using #2 heating oil.As far as any problems with insurance there is really no mods for the seals other than switching to a pump with Viton seals and for the mods on the burner as in nozzles, they change nozzles all the time to get a better flame even with #2 so what would be the diff in using Bio?

posted Hide Post
A claim and/or coverage would only be voided if it was intentional damage or if there was material misrepresentation on the application- ie you lied about a question on the application or concealed an abnormal risk factor.

Running B100 in your furnace will only possibly void your warranty and not make petroleum companies happy Smile

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Whether your insurance is voided or not will greatly depend on how much money you owe on the home.

If you owe lots of money to the bank, the insurance company will roll over like a dog and pay the claim. If the home is paid off, or if you have a very low balance on your mortgage, the insurance company will most likely not pay out.

The reason is simple.. Lawyers. Insurance companies are not in business to protect you. They are in business to make money and they have a fiduciary duty to be as profitable as they can be. Paying out claims to homeowners is not how you become profitable. However, they will not mess with a bank. If you owe lots of money to the bank, you're protected and your insurance claim will most likely be paid even if you drove an army tank over your own home.

If you don't owe money on the home, the better question would be: "Would a jury find that I was negligent or would they think I don't deserve the money?"
Why do I say that? Because if you don't have a bank backing you up, the insurance company is going to make you sue them to get your claim paid and that's going to take 3 to 5 years in court... When its all said and done, you'll probably get 1/2 what you thought you'd get and your lawyer will take 33% of that.

Moral of the story: It doesn't matter what you do to your furnace.

Just my opinion. (based on seeing what happens to other people)

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
I'd like to you where you get that ridiculous idea Roll Eyes