BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Pot burner coking up quickly on B100

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pot burner coking up quickly on B100
 Login/Join

posted
Deville stove up and running- coking up pretty quickly (2 days) on B100 while on low setting - I've been adjusting the carb settings (upward) with no success.

Guessing maybe mixing in some Kerosene might help?

Location: West Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the Deville, but I will tell you how I modified my Sears unit to reduce similar coking: Using a straight punch that just fit the air holes in the burner liner, I angled all of them in one direction to make the incoming air swirl in one direction (rather like a Turk burner). The flame is now like a tornado, burning hot in the middle of the burner liner space. I suspected that the coke deposits were from partially burnt material condensing out of the flame, which had previously formed a sort of hot cloud. Now the flame doesn't touch the cool metal walls.

It still cokes up, but now it takes much longer and is easier to clean - the walls stay clean. I clean the bottom with a wire cup-brush in a drill, and shop-vac. The last time I cleaned it was last year sometime. I've been using it this winter off and on, but haven't kept track of total time "on" (It's keeping me warm as I write this). I do know that it can burn at least 20 gallons without needing to be cleaned, however long that takes (2 weeks continuously on low?), and I suspect it takes much longer than that.

Obviously, really low flame settings coke-up faster. It takes heat to burn cleanly. I only burn B100, no blends, no K1, no diesel, no svo.

Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hutch I don't know your stove but coking is caused by insufficient oxygen or heat.
Probably heat in your case because it only does it on low.

If you can't pre heat the fuel, a more volatile fuel as you suggested is probably the only answer.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried mixing in a bit of K1, seemed to help a little bit, wonder if I can somehow increase the oxygen intake.

Thanks

Location: West Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sinbad is right, you either lack sufficient heat or air. Since turning up the heat hasnt worked you must need more air. Make sure that your flue and burner is as airtight as possible so that the chimney can only suck air through the holes in the burner and not through any little cracks or openings.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found the problem, there was a missing dampner/draft control plate that is mounted behind the door - it came with the stove, but I didn't know where to install - figured it out, now running on B80 K20 mix and it's burning a nice blue flame without soot.

Awesome - hopefully I will be able to run B100 after some slight mod's.

I might post some pic's of this nice little stove - picked it up on E-bay for $225 shipped to my door.

posted Hide Post
hutch,are you burning washed fuel.i have an old pot burner i run with crude unwashed fuel.it cokes up and have to clean every five days...kinda messy.

Location: western ny | Registered: April 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am burning washed fuel, currently I can burn about 1 week on straight biodiesel, mixing with Kero prolongs the cleaning interval a little bit. Big messy job to clean out the pot, and if I don't get to it while it's still warm, the stuff sets up into a very stiff putty which is a nightmare to clean. Not exactly what I was hoping for. Guess I need to start looking for a fuel oil furnace instead of an oil stove???

posted Hide Post
i clean mine every four days,sound like same stuff.easier to clean warn and its tar like.i use about 6 gal day when temps are below 30 f.what your fuel usage on the deville.i figure since mine is from 60's it not as efficient

Location: western ny | Registered: April 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This particular Deville is the smallest they make (20k BTU) and it's currently using about 1.5 gallons a day on medium/low setting - keeps the workshop about 50 deg. F

posted Hide Post
Hutch56 Is your burner an S tube type where there is no pool of fuel but just inside the central 'up' tube is the diesel ???? I'm looking to buy what's ex army called a SHA Hunter Heater which I think came out about 10 years ago. The spec says it will burn Diesel so once it gets going I suppose it should burn cleanly. Do you know of anyone who uses this type of heater on Bio???? they sell for about 190 to 230 dollars but I think this is the new price. There seems to be two different types which are on utube model SHA 4520-01-444-2375 15k to 25k Btu's and the SHS 4520-01-478-9207 which is 12k Btu's they are both safer than the older type of pot burner and supposed to be cleaner combustion and they can tip quite a bit without the risk of a big pool of fuel on fire !

Bye to all

Location: Nottingham in England | Registered: August 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just delivered from the States a good condition SHA Hunter heater--- will be trying Bio in it. The centre tube is complex so it'll be interesting how it performs. They say there should be no fumes at the flue top.... I'll report....

Location: Nottingham in England | Registered: August 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post