BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Fireplace insert, need some guidance

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireplace insert, need some guidance
 Login/Join

posted
For the fireplace where we used to burn wood I want to make a drip oil burner. So I bought an oil regulator, a small tank and copper tube.
I remember from the old days that the burner was a simple pan with a ring on top of it, but I haven't seen an oil stove in over 30 years and do not remember any details.

I started by cutting the bottom part from an old propane bottle and now have a steel pan with 11" diameter, 6 " deep. Now it is time to make the burner ring to put on top of it.
Are there any guidelines about the proper diameter?
There certainly must be holes in the wall of the pan for air, but where? Near the top only or starting much lower? Can I ruin the project by drilling too many or too large holes?

If I remember correctly, the oil feed tube should enter the pan near the bottom because the temperature there is lowest, but I'm not sure about that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Look up Tim Cook's posts. He has done extensive experimentation with this type of set up.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that was quite a lot of reading!
Tim Cook must have dedicated several years of his life to building and improving oil burners.

I have other plans with my remaining years and take a shortcut by getting my inspiration from the "Spike burner". That seems to work well and was more or less - but not quite- what I have in mind.
Instead of a compact, very hot flame, I aim for a much wider one that resembles a wood fire (with minimal smoke if possible).