BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Making bio diesel burn hotter?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making bio diesel burn hotter?
 Login/Join

posted
I recently installed a oil burning stove in my basement. I ran it all last winter on bio, but ran out a couple times and used diesel. I noticed the diesel burned quite a bit hotter. Anything I can add to my bio to make it burn alot hotter?

posted Hide Post
The energy content of a gallon of diesel fuel is higher than the energy content of a gallon of biodiesel as measured by BTU/gallon.

A quick google search revealed:

No 2 Diesel: 128,000 to 130,000 BTU/gal
Biodiesel: 117,000 to 120,000 BTU/gal.

The higher energy content makes the diesel fuel burn hotter than biodiesel.

Location: Illinois | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
What producer said is technically true but we are only talking about an energy difference of around 8 percent or so and I have to wonder about your description of that difference as "quite a bit hotter".

Since most people probably wouldn't describe that small difference as so, it makes me think that there is something else going on.

Did you know that biodiesel has oxygen in it but petro diesel does not? Yup.. and while I'm certainly no expert on the chemistry of either, I do know that when you burn biodiesel, the combustion requires much less fresh air input than the petro.

Whenever I switch from the petro to biodiesel or even veg oil, I have to close down the combustion fan's throttle plate to reduce the amount of extra air. If I don't, all that extra air causes the biodiesel to put out a lot less heat than it should.

In short, check your combustion air input and close it down a bit.

Hope that helps,

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
quote:
Anything I can add to my bio to make it burn alot hotter?

#2 diesel fuel

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Change the burner spray nozzle to one with a larger flow rate.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post