BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Cad Cell Resistor

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cad Cell Resistor
 Login/Join

posted
So glad that I found this site! Thank you!

We are burning B-100 this year in our Burnham oil furnace. I had the opportunity of talking with a scientist at Brookhaven Lab in New York where as some of you may know, they study BioFuels and especially B-100 in home heating.

Among other Great advice I was advised to install a 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the cad cell connection (yellow wires)...

Both wires are yellow (Becket AFG) and I am not sure which wire to install it on.

Any advice??? Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
Connect it between both yellow wires (parallel).
Did they have any other good advice you can share?
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. Would you connect the resistor near the Cad Cell itself or closer to where the two yellow wires plug into the Igniter (box)? I assume that you just nick the wires enough to expose the wire and solder it on each one? I thought that nearer the Cad Cell might be to hot for the resistor?

I was blessed to have had that conversation with Chris and would be delighted to pass along anything helpful. He was sharing their findings on the best nozzle spray pattern for burning "B-100", he recommended that I use a .75-70B and even a .75-80B would be best. My furnace is a 3 section Burnham V8 series. If it were deeper I would have went with the .75-80B..

He gave me some target numbers for when I have a Tech come to tune the furnace.

Oxy 5% and CO Under 5 parts per million...

I was talking to him about emulsification and he gave me the cure all. For every 15 gallons of water add 1/3 gallon of Vinegar to your wash tank and it completely eliminates the problem. I added it to my last two batches during the water washing and it worked perfectly 100%..Enjoy!

Thank you for your help with the cad cell!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!
Just connect the the resistor wherever its convenient, the heat wont effect it anymore so than the CAD cell. You can just use wire nuts or crimps too, no need for soldering.
On my Becket I have not needed the resistor, I did paint the inside of the burner tube with high temp silver paint though. My damn ignition transformer just burnt up on it on Wednesday...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the time I posted this thread until Nov 7th I tried several resistors from 10K to 100K and yet I could not get the furnace to stay running. On Nov 8th I went ahead and sprayed the tube chamber "Silver" and THAT DID IT! So for the past 20 days the furnace has operated like a B-100 dream. But now today it is again starting up and shutting down...I thought that maybe the silver became dull so I repainted it and yet nothing. Could I be dealing with a faulty Cad Cell to begin with?

Please Help! Thank you!

posted Hide Post
I've been running B100 for heat for two years in two furnaces and an oil fired hot water heater and have run into similar problems. The hot water heater has an off brand burner and has run the most reliably. One of the furnaces has a Beckett burner and the other one has a Boch burner. They will run fine for a month or so and then give me shut down issues for a week or so and then run ok again. I've changed nozzles, sprayed the tube, changed the cad cell and it can still make no difference. Then it will just start working ok again. Not sure if its an issue with that particular batch of bio or what. But I've used a little over 2,000 gallons of bio for heating in the past two season so for the $5,000 I've saved over using #2 fuel and the emmssions reductions, I can live with the hassles of these occaasional temper tantrams.

"This biodiesel tis a cruel and heartless mistress we home brewers have chosen"

Location: MA | Registered: February 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
make sure the fire is not burnimg too lean. cad cells don't like a white fire. adjust the air flow until you see a definite orange in the flame, I haven't had a problem since I made this adjustment two years ago.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great! That did it! Thank you!

It is a Beckett AFG burner. I had the "ARROW" on number 2. Now the arrow is on the line just before the number 2 so it is nearly shut. Is that normal? Also what is the other adjustment for? The aluminum arrow pointer.

I wonder what I did that caused the furnace to call for a richer adjustment. 20 days of smooth sailing then a shut down..I did add new fuel to the tank the day before, wonder if it may not have been dried enough?

Again, thank you!

posted Hide Post
Glad you got it going!
Yes its normal for the air to be almost totally shut off, not sure why there is such a drastic change in the air requirement for bio compared to D2 but it is what it is. Not sure what the other adjustment is that your talking about, could be the nozzle position adjustment, the tip of the nozzle has to be set to a specific dimension from the face of the gun to the tip of the nozzle, cant remember what it is off hand but you should look into it, if the nozzle is set too far back you will coke up the turbulator on the end of the gun and its a ***** to clean!...
Cheers,
Jon