BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Torpedo shop heater adjustments
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torpedo shop heater adjustments
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I've sadly got to confess that It IS temperature dependent. I had some problems today when I was fooling with it. Basically I wound up having to mix with kero 60/40 (60 WVO) to get it to work right. Still a savings...........

2001 Dodge Cummins
2006 VW Jetta TDI
both on B100

Location: Ripley, WV | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best way to get your torpedo heater to run smoothly on bio is to reduce about 50-60% of the air flow coming in through the back. I used duct tape on the grill about 3/4 of the way around and that did the trick. Runs great now. Cone gets red hot on front.

2001 Dodge Cummins
2006 VW Jetta TDI
both on B100

Location: Ripley, WV | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'd be surprised how dirty the flame tube gets after a while. I was having trouble with mine this winter, until I took it apart, and cleaned it.(Filthy black coking inside.) Burns B100 down to 38F, clean and hot, without blocking air intake. I use a small box cradle under the torpedo, with a household heating pad as a fuel warmer in cold weather. No diesel fumes-yuk.

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a co-op 50,000 BTU heater. I will run diesel through it, Cheaper here in the midwest. Anyway i bought it used from a pawn shop. $79.00 ive replace the spark pluck put new fuel and air lines in it. Its working great spark is putting out a great spark and pushing fuel. ut its not burning. Fan and motor are working properly. The air and fuel mixture i was thinking were the problem. But my other thought is that the diesel is just to cold. Should i burn another $40 bucks and by a 200 watt magnetic heater? Ive pulled the diesel out and bought kerosine, Still not burning.

Matt R

Location: midwewst | Registered: January 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried blocking the air intake by @ 50%?
I use a piece of cardboard, adjust it as it gets hot, and eventually remove it altogether.

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post