BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    WVO home heater
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WVO home heater
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Wow I thought montana was the only state who picks on people saving money... Took Montana less than 24hrs from a newpaper article to send me a tax bill for road tax on my WVO, but boy would they like to persue alternative energy.... Tigman

wvo is no longer waste when we harness it's power!!!

Location: simms montana | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
And that is why you will never see me in a newspaper or on TV or even bragging about where my set up is located (it is off-site).
All it takes is one jealous person who wants to see you fail 'cause they haven't got what you have and want to be sure you can't have it either.
People are NOT generally good, they have to be taught to be.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
And that is why you will never see me in a newspaper or on TV or even bragging about where my set up is located (it is off-site).
All it takes is one jealous person who wants to see you fail 'cause they haven't got what you have and want to be sure you can't have it either.
People are NOT generally good, they have to be taught to be.

Dang Legal.. you hit it right on the spot.

That is EXACTLY why I keep my shop location a secret.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
If it were just the issue of getting the permit, I would. But they're telling me that it has to be UL listed in order to pass inspection (probably to the tune of $5000-$10,000). I was not able to find in the municiple code where it mentions that so I'll probably stop by and ask if they can show me where it says that.

Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that sucks.

what you should do is talk to the actual inspector(s) and explain what you have, show them how it works, safety features,etc. maybe youll make a friend?

good luck,mo

Be the change you hope to find in this world.-Gandhi

Location: location, location... | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Gee_Dubya,

how'd they find out it was in your garage?

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
Someone complained--probably one of my neighbors or the police officer across the street. I keep my garage door closed as much as possible, but coming and going people can get a glimpse. Also the stainless steel chimney coming out of the top of my garage is a dead give away.

Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
So go pick up a wood stove and install it for inspection for the permit.

Once the permit has been issued, nix the wood stove and install your device again.

Unless your neighbors were smelling something or seeing black smoke, you should be fine.

That's a beautiful heater dude..

There has to be a loop hole in the law that stops them from telling you it must be UL Listed.. What about home inventors or research or something?

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
Has anyone considered or tried to recirculate the hot burnt gases to try and burn the heavier stuff??

Location: Austraila | Registered: September 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dougie:
Has anyone considered or tried to recirculate the hot burnt gases to try and burn the heavier stuff??

You just want to open up that can of worms don't you? Big Grin

That's actually a good idea on paper but doesn't work in reality.

The problem as I found was that when you recirculate the hot gasses, you have to inject more combustion air to re-ignite them.. The incoming cold combustion air cools the gasses below their ignition temperature and results in nothing but a cold system or smoke.

The best solution is to atomize the fuel before igniting it.. This way, it all ignites at once, you put in excess combustion air just once and it makes a full and complete burn a much easier target to achieve.

The other train of thought is an after-burner set up.. The only problem with this is that you need a catalytic media to get it to work.. Wood stoves use something like titanium dioxide or something like that to achieve a catalytic reaction with unburned soot from a wood fire.. I don't think it works the same way for oil.
(don't quote me on the titanium dioxide but it was something along those lines)

Anyhow, my experience, in general, says that pot burners are dirty and smelly.. That's the draw back.. On the positive side, they don't require compressed air or electricity so during a power outage, the pot burner will still keep you warm and cozy.

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
I was thinking more recirulation of the flame back on its self or into or around the cumbustion area along with the fresh air.

Location: Austraila | Registered: September 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The circulation idea sounds good but I have not yet come up with a practical way to inplementing it, let us know if you come up with a functional approach to doing this.

I considered the catalytic converter approach until I checked with my local scrap yard for some automotive catalytic converters as the source for the catalytic material. Older converters used to be packed with ceramic beads, I am told they now contain some sort of wafers or a solid porus ceramic chunk, anyway, even the scrap ones are too expensive to test an unproven idea. The scrap guy said he is paying a minimum of $20.00 for any style junk converters, some are worth as much as $150.00 scrap, guess I won't be testing this idea any time soon.

Another thought is to pass the smoke through a pack of red hot steel wool or fine screen of some sort, Problem I see with this is that the small openings will likely get clogged with soot, don't know, testing this ides is also a bit too expensive for an unproven idea.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was thinking of something like this as a recirculation type burner, just have not had the time to build one.

ImageNew_Burner.jpg (22 Kb, 180 downloads)

posted Hide Post
this is my glycerine burner.

Imageh54.jpg (53 Kb, 151 downloads)

Location: Khoa-Yai Nakronrachasima,Thailand | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll try again with the recirculation burner pic.

ImageNew_Burner.jpg (18 Kb, 166 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Any comments on the New Burner Pic posted above??

posted Hide Post
try it and tell us what happens.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello
I am trying to open the pictures of Gee_Dubya heater and i cannot, is it just me, my puter or is it the pictures.....and yes i am trying the second patch of pictures that were posted. i am trying to make a heater that will heat my house also and i would like to see those pictures. Thanks for your help.

05 Chevy Truck-B100
06 VW Jetta TDI-B100
http://www.biodieselpictures.com/viewtopic.php?t=366

posted Hide Post
up

05 Chevy Truck-B100
06 VW Jetta TDI-B100
http://www.biodieselpictures.com/viewtopic.php?t=366

posted Hide Post
MrFunke

I can't get to them either, so it looks like GeeDubya took them down.

"Talk is cheap because supply usually exceeds demand."

Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post