BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Podez oil heater?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Podez oil heater?
 Login/Join

posted
A neighbour of mine gave me this heater today. The brand name on the case is Podez hp. The unit is 3 feet high, 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep. the left side contains a vapourising pot burner with a nice little round window to view the fire.
The right side has a heat exchanger, the oil control and the flue exits out the back.
It looks complete and has a 1950 style about it.
Ive seen something similar made by Toyotomi but Ive never come across this make before.
Has anybody out there seen one of these ?
It would clean up nicely and if it could run on biodiesel would make a good workshp heater.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I misread the name on the heater, it is Potez and I was able to find some info on the internet.
They were manufactured in Galway Ireland between 1960 and 1980. Potez made airplane parts including airplane cockpit heaters. They made this domestic heater as a spinoff.
The output is 34000 btu which is approximately 10 kilowatt so I would expect it to consume around a litre of fuel an hour.
The fuel tank is built into the unit and I have filled it with biodiesel. I shall connect it to a temporary flue and try lighting it over the weekend. Looking at the top of the burner it would be a simple job to install a preheat coil and run it on veg oil.
One nice feature is a 6 inch glass window so that you can see the flame.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanx for the update

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fired up the Potez heater this morning. I put in the usual shot of methanol and turned the flow on full. This would normally be a dangerous thing to do, but I was fairly sure that the oil control was set for kerosene and the flow of biodiesel would be very slow.
I was right, it took a long time to heat up and even now after 6 hours it feels as is it is running at about half power. Either this heater would work on a blend of bio and kero or the oil control could be modified to run on pure bio. As an experiment I fed some veg oil in from above just using an oil can and it immediately began to get much hotter. So this unit could be started on kero and then switched over to veg oil.
My problem is that I dont need another heater and my workshop is crammed full already. If anyone out there wants to have a 10Kw oil heater to play around with I would be happy to give it to them, no charge.
I also have a Nestor Martin Cast iron oil stove which Im not going to use. Its about 7Kw output and does not have a water boiler, any interest?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel:
.. any interest?
Yeah but Im on the wrong side of the big pond Cool Big Grin

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post