BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Can't maintain burn after electrodes shut off.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't maintain burn after electrodes shut off.
 Login/Join

posted
I can't seem to get my Beckett Burner to maintain combustion after the ignition electrodes shut off.

I'm using a setup I found in the forums archives that I can't seem to find a again. I have the printout in the garage I'm working on this in and I'll link it later if it matters.

If I'm running B100, I get good ignition and good flame, but it dies when the electrodes shut off. If I fill the fuel filter with HHO(actually off road diesel, but same thing), the flame maintains itself. Both I and my furnace buddy are kinda stumbled. I went through the fuel system and confirmed that there's no restrictions or sludge. We've adjusted the fuel pressure and air intake and it still wont work.

I don't have the link, but I do have my parts receipt. Here's what I have running everything:

WEBSTER:M34DM-3 (WEBSTER BIO FUEL PUMP)
BECKETT:51621 (THE BECKETT START HELPER)
DELAVAN:7580B (DELAVAN .75 GAL 80° B SOLID NOZZLE)
DELAVAN:7580A (DELAVAN .75 GAL 80° A HOLLOW NOZZLE)
DELAVAN: (PROTEK VALVE FOR 135 PSI SUPPLY PUMP PRESSURE)

I got these parts from patriot-supply.com.

I also have a pressure gauge on the fuel pump and a vacuum/pressure gauge on the filter housing. I use a Cat fuel filter 1R-0750. It's similar 1R-0749 that's common on some biodiesel processors, but shorted. 2 micron, same thread as the Gerber filters, but easier for me to purchase then the Biodiesel compatible Gerber filter.

posted Hide Post
What pressure are you running at? Should be minimum 150PSI.
My becket, riello and areo burners all keep the ignition transformer firing throughout the burn cycle IIRC. What model are you running?
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the spark stays on, on all oil burners I've ever messed with, Beckett for sure.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Heron:
What pressure are you running at? Should be minimum 150PSI.
My becket, riello and areo burners all keep the ignition transformer firing throughout the burn cycle IIRC. What model are you running?
Cheers,
Jon

quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
As far as I know the spark stays on, on all oil burners I've ever messed with, Beckett for sure.

Got it. I had the pressure set at 150 psi and turned it down thinking that the pressure was pushing the flame away from the fuel. I have it set at 160-170 now and it's running great.

I had bought the unit used and had to replace a number of parts. Here's the controller unit now.

To tell the truth, we only guessed that the ignition was only for starting.

posted Hide Post
for sure the electrodes must fire continuously during the burn cycle.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biodiesel flame may not be bright enough to trigger the cad cell and the burner will shut down.
Make sure the cad cell isn't covered with soot.
Some have reported success by lining the space with aluminum foil.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
for sure the electrodes must fire continuously during the burn cycle.

Good to know. Oil burners are new territory for me and I consider them a tad more dangerous than usual.

quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
The biodiesel flame may not be bright enough to trigger the cad cell and the burner will shut down.
Make sure the cad cell isn't covered with soot.
Some have reported success by lining the space with aluminum foil.

I have success now. I did check the cad cell, it was clean and tested good. I had considered that the cell simply couldn't see the flame well, but it saw the flame fine running HHO.

*spelling

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NILL,

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have success how.

yes, how did you solve the problem

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
quote:
I have success how.

yes, how did you solve the problem

I said in one of my previous posts. I had to set the pressure to 165psi, up from 150psi to get it to maintain combustion.

posted Hide Post
I had one failure and I can think of three reasons why. About two days ago I turn the room's thermostat down from 65F to 50F. I also disconnected the preheater attached right before nozzle. When I removed the filter to prime the system with HHO, I noticed some glycerine come out. It got into the system from some unwashed fuel I put in last year, but I thought I got it all out.

I cut another 2 inched off the bottom of the sender and filled the filter with HHO. I also reattached the preheater for the time being. I don't think I'll need it once the room gets warm again, but for now it's staying.