BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Should I snatch this thing up?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I snatch this thing up?
 Login/Join

posted
There is an old Steam power washer at my local flea market with what looks to have all kinds of WVO/Biodiesel goodies on it. Should I snatch this thing up as is? What's it worth? They are asking 100.00 - I could probably get it for 50.00. What would YOU do with it?

2001 Dodge Cummins
2006 VW Jetta TDI
both on B100

Location: Ripley, WV | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an old junk man from way back, even named after one! (Paul Ballew's Cash for Trash, circa 1950's)I love resurrecting usefulness from discarded, broken down junk. (There is a limit, of course.)
If you have the time to tinker with it, you might find some useful parts for some kind of project. I wouldn't pay any more than scrap metal price, which is just about $50.

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 bucks would be my limit. The burner can probably be salvaged with a bit of time and a few bucks, it looks like a standard "Williams" oil burner, these were made in Peoria Illinois for years but the company has been out of business for probably 20 years, it is a standard pressure style burner that uses most modern parts. The big black transformer may be good, maybe not, new ones for the Becket burners can be modified to work.

The coil of heating pipe is always suspect, if your wintertime temps drop below freezing the coil may well be split someplace from ice if the owner did not go the extra pains to make sure it was dry before storage, most don't.

The pressure pump looks to be something built by the manufacturer, most modern steam cleaners use one of the many commercially built multi-piston high pressure pumps, repairing the original one may be a challenge.

You can buy working used (sometimes new) modern Becket oil burners from Ebay for under $100 bucks.

The pressure coil of pipe is probably replaceable with a new one but the parts price will be over $250.00.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I could use the burner to make a bigger torpedo style heater out of? Thoughts?

2001 Dodge Cummins
2006 VW Jetta TDI
both on B100

Location: Ripley, WV | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
picked it up today for 40.00Smile I'm going to try and use the oil burner for, well, OIL! I thought I could make a heat chamber out of a piece of like 15" steel pipe and use it to heat my garage. Thoughts?

2001 Dodge Cummins
2006 VW Jetta TDI
both on B100

posted Hide Post
I have a Beckett furnace gun and an idea that is lingering in the back of my head is to eventually set up a used water heater on its side with the gun at one end as a furnace of sorts.

I suppose one could weld in lengths of pipe that go through it and serpentine with a fan at one end to make a type of forced air thing as well.

The Beckett in the greenhouse boiler has conclusively proven that B100 is a viable fuel option, so ...

Just a brain storm at this point though.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Many older torpedo heaters were made using standard oil burners for there heat, I have picked up a couple from my local scrap yard. They place about a 6 inch diameter by 18 inch long thin SS tube out in front of the burner to contain the flame, the thin tube has a cover over the end about 2 inches out in front of the tube, this tube is mounted inside an outer steel sheetmetal tube that has an electric fan mounted above the burner, this fan forces air past the hot inner tube and out the far end of the outer tube.

I also have picked up a couple older steam cleaners, one is horizontal with a Wayne burner, one is vertical with a Beckett burner. the thought is to use the burner and coil of pipe to heat either water or veg to store in a tank and use as an indirect heat source for everything, building heat, processor heat, settling tank heat, alcohol still heat, etc. The burner and coil can be located out in a small yard shed for added safety. This type use does not produce high pressures in the pipe coil so you can repair any split in the coil and still use it as the hot heat exchanger.

Converting these burners to burn straight veg will take some work and a couple hundred bucks in parts if you want it to run reliably in an automatic setup (CKburners.com has great info and most of the parts, and links for the rest, needed for the conversion. they are the simplest place to do a one-stop conversion to thick oil fuel. You can go other ways but there nozzle heating syphon block conversion is the nicest), biodiesel fueling is much simpler but still needs a few mods done to the burner, mainly change the nozzle size and increase the fuel pump pressure, a new higher voltage ignition transformer also helps with more reliable ignition of both veg or biodiesel. There will also be a bit more maintanance to keep the nozzle clean, nozzle cleaning is limited due to the tiny internal passages so you will likely have to replace nozzles at least once a year depending on how much use the burner gets.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post