BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Alaska boiler/stove idea?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska boiler/stove idea?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi, I have collected a lot of WMO and I am wondering if it is OK to store this oil in an IBC, Would the WMO be too acidic for the tank and/or the valve?

WMO isn't very acidic, relatively speaking, and IBC's (aka "totes") can be used for storage. The plastic they're made of is unaffected by motor oil, mild acids and bases. Solvents would be a problem, in case your WMO is contaminated.

Some IBC drain valves have o-rings that should be checked for compatability - I had one that swelled up when I stored used cooking oil in it. Luckily it didn't leak, but it also wouldn't open easily (I pumped it empty, then opened the valve, only to have the o-ring pop out - it would have been impossible to close the valve again if the tote had been full of liquid. Yikes!)
Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
update on your boiler?

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, its been a while since Ive posted here. My original boiler built 4 years ago is still going strong and the replacement which is documented in the previous pages is gathering dust in a corner of my workshop.
I use the boiler for 20 hours a day and it heats 6 large radiators in my house. I turn it off at about 1.00 pm each day and top up the heated fuel tank with more oil. At about 5.00pm I clean out the burner and relight it. I run it on biodiesel through the control valve ( carb) for about half an hour and then switch over to oil.
The fuel I use is yellow grease, the thick semisolid animal fat/ veg oil mixture. I fill a 20 litre bucket with it , dirt, food, water and all. I heat it to 55 degrees C and pour it through a kitchen strainer to catch dirt and food. The rest goes into the tank and water is drained off twice a week.

The heated yellow grease is pumped into the burner via a peristaltic pump that has run reliably for about 10,000 hours now. I have fitted a set of thermostats which means that I can safely run the burner unattended and even overnight. These stats mean that the burner has to run at a very even temp or it will turn off. Flue temp between 80 and 140 degrees C. I find that flue temp is the fastest and most reliable way to monitor the burner.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a better idea of water heating. It is very easy and safe.

Location: 4050 Lake Otis Pkwy Ste 210, Anchorage, AK 99508 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone has asked me about this boiler design so I am moving it up to the top of the list so that he can find it easily. My original boiler of this design is still running every winter heating my home.I start it each day using biodiesel for half an hour and then switch over to my chosen waste fuel, yellow grease or wmo, for the rest of the day. The waste oil is pumped into the burner by a Williamson peristaltic pump.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post