BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Toyotomi Oil Fired Water Heater om-148

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyotomi Oil Fired Water Heater om-148
 Login/Join

posted
i was wondering if anyone had experience using biodiesel (B100 or mix) on toyotomi om-148 looks like it uses gun type burner. not sure if this makes any difference. here is an interesting blog post, looks like he is using b100/mix on toyotomi om-22 vented heater. not sure the differences in burner for these two models.

http://leavingthegrid.blogspot.com/2005/02/biodiesel-ho...ating-and-solar.html

posted Hide Post
Interesting HW heater.
And, it certainly could have wide applications for "off grid" housing.

I am a bit suspicious of it since many heavier oils require some time to preheat. And, at least a portion of HW usage is in short blasts, such as washing one's hands.

Actually, that is one thing I hate about my Bosh Aquastar. It has a post-blowing cycle that inevitably cools down the water between turning the faucet on and off.

However, the atomizer looks very effective.

I always hate to experiment on a $1000 unit. Perhaps you could work out a deal with the US Distributer to get a "demo" unit. If it works, you'll buy it. If not, they'll take it back.

And, of course, report your findings back to the distributer as well as on a couple of RE websites.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I hadn't already put in a modulated propane fired Bosch water heater last year (prior to my journey into biodiesel) I would have bought one of these units for sure! It may take some tinkering but it WILL be able to run reliably on bio I am sure! Being that it is already designed to run on petrol diesel it will have all the adjustable components needed to make the bio run smooth. Find out what type of nozzle it uses and if different sizes are available and what type of seals are used in contact with the oil...
HERE is a link to the manual for one, looks like they use a standard Delavan type XA nozzle...
I would make a phone call to Toyotomi Japan and ask for their input... The Japanese are typically eager to help out if they can!
Good luck! Let us know if you try it!
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. i sent an email to toyotomi usa office a week ago, didn't get any response, just fired one email to the japan office. hope i get something back.

sure, i will post my findings.

posted Hide Post
did a research on nozzle, this site listed BS36UFF which is the previous/old model uses delavan
http://www.susitnaenergy.com/?subcat_id=89&cat_id=44&prod_id=2717

and nozzle description for om-148 doesn't say anything about delavan, the price is different but the specs are same (1.1 gph, 60 degree spraying angle)

http://www.susitnaenergy.com/?subcat_id=89&cat_id=44&prod_id=2778

posted Hide Post
Go to the spec's on page 20 of the manual I linked to above, it states a 0.85GPH 60 degree Delavan type XA nozzle for the OM-148. Unfortunately I don't see any info on the pump.
Did you ask them in your email what the pump seals are made of?
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon for the page. i didn't notice the nozzle spec. yes, I asked them about pump seals. there is a small discrepancy i noticed on the nozzle spec for OM-148. Toyotomi web-page has different spec for nozzle (may be the pdfs are older, i doubt that).

Nozzle spec from website:
Quantity of Vapor - 1.1 GPH

as you pointed out, the manual from their website has different GPH:
0.85GPH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keelec:
And, at least a portion of HW usage is in short blasts, such as washing one's hands.

Actually, that is one thing I hate about my Bosh Aquastar. It has a post-blowing cycle that inevitably cools down the water between turning the faucet on and off.

this om-148 is a semi on-demand unit, it has about 5.1 gallon of tank inside where the water is always hot. so as soon as you open the facet, it will push this already heated water first i guess. here is the video which talks about this semi on-demand feature.

posted Hide Post
The nozzle may very well turn out to be a moot point anyways.
I installed a used Riello burner in my shop furnace 2 weeks ago and it is starting and running great with the stock nozzle on B100. I had to turn down the air a wee bit to get it to start smoothly but so far so good!
Jon

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Heron:
The nozzle may very well turn out to be a moot point anyways.
I installed a used Riello burner in my shop furnace 2 weeks ago ...
Jon
PDF about Riello and bio-fuels

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks George!
There is a bio kit available for the Riello burners but they want you to buy the whole pump and actuator instead of just selling me the required seals...
I have a spare pump and will take it apart this winter and see if I can come up with suitable seals elsewhere...
Jon

posted Hide Post
i got response from japan office. they are saying you can't use b100 on om-148, it accepts b10 (10% mixed with No.1 or No.2 Fuel). they didn't mention why i can't use b100.

Regarding the rubber parts, the material of the rubber is fluoro-rubber. i think its similar to viton material. this is good news.

they confirmed the nozzle spec is 0.85 GPH.

posted Hide Post
I too am interested in a Toyotomi for heating my domestic hot water, my infloor heat, and my shop. I'd like to put the boiler in the shop and push the hot water to the house 50' away, much like all of my neighbors are doing with their big wood fired boilers. I've talked to Tim Ball in MI, very helpful with info and ideas but I still can't find someone in my area to go see their setup. I hate to be a skeptic, but seeing is believing for me. I really want to heat my house and domestic hot water with bio, closer to B100 the better, just haven't had much luck finding others doing it as well with a toyotomi yet.

I'd appreciate any additional info.
Thanks
Nick in WI

Location: western wi | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got an answer from Toyotmi Tech Support also saying B10 maximum. No reason why no more than that. May not be the solution I was looking for. Along with using my biodiesel for a boiler, I'm also looking for dependability, sealed combustion, and compact size. Back to the search I guess. Keep the great discussions going,
Nick

Location: western wi | Registered: September 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me saying it is good for B10 is good news. That at least tells me that the components are biodiesel compatible.
I bought a $20,000.00 tractor to burn B100 in that is only rated for B5 according to the factory. I have been burning B100 in it all summer with 140 hours on it now with no issues...
Let us know what you come up with!
Jon