BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Continuous feed turk burner
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Continuous feed turk burner
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Girlmark,

Are you highjacking my thread?! Roll Eyes

Tony

03 VW Golf TDI
85 VW Golf 1.6 NA
02 Dodge Ram CTD

Location: WI | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
guilty as charged, sorry, buddy!

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some time yesterday to observe the burner running. Previously I mentioned that my first burner arrangement left no real build up in the pot after the burn. Well this was because the pot started full then slowly as the oil level burned away got less and less. As it did that the wet soot build up would burn away and by the time the oil was gone the pot was clean. I duplicated this a couple of times to confirm it. With my current setup the pot stays at a constant level and continuously builds soot around the colder air inlets to the pot.

Without a doubt the current setup does not get as hot as the first two. So I will weld up the two extra rows of 3/16 holes I added previously.

I have another idea I'm thinking of though. The design of the Turk has the supply air completely surounding the burn pot and most of the tube as it extends upward.

I started working on a scaled down burner made from 1 lb propane tanks that will have the supply air entering from the side of the pot like my current setup but the pot won't be surounded by constant cold air. I plan on a collar kind of thing containing the supply air so as not to reduce the temp of the pot. I think this help the oil to vaporize better. I saw a 12v bilge ventilator the other day at my boat supply dealer for 20 bucks. It would be perfect for my scaled down burner. I think I might go back and get it.

Here's a link to two more vids. One shows the couplings I use the adjust the level of oil in my burn pot. The other is just the burner running.

http://community.webshots.com/album/562956753kUBZxr?vhost=community

Tony

03 VW Golf TDI
85 VW Golf 1.6 NA
02 Dodge Ram CTD

posted Hide Post
Girlmark wrote
quote:
guilty as charged, sorry, buddy!

It's OK I'm used to getting no respect. My day job I work as a doormat! Wink

03 VW Golf TDI
85 VW Golf 1.6 NA
02 Dodge Ram CTD

posted Hide Post
Tony, what is your oil level in the burner itself?

posted Hide Post
You may find (as I did) that the entering air needs to be HOT for the burner to work well. The annular space around the burner preheats the incoming air, but cools the walls. There's obviously a balancing act needed. I'd suggest trying to keep the lower part of the burner hot, but still use the upper part to preheat the incoming air. I don't have the time to experiment, but will follow your experiments with great interest.

One more thing, vaguely related: I bought an old-style glow plug at the parts store, and found that it ignites SVO directly. This might work as a Turk starter, if the glowplug poked up from the bottom, only half-submerged in oil. Apply apropriate voltage and it first smokes, then bursts in to flame.

Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post