BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    anyone got a meat grinder?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone got a meat grinder?
 Login/Join

posted
Yeah I got this employee I got to get rid of.. she drives me nuts Razz

no seriously..... I do..

but the meat grinder is for something else. Pelet stove idea. If you got a meat grinder let me know. Got a small experement for you to do for me if you would.

Thanx in advance.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh okay, I think I just figured out your "pellet stove idea.

If I'm right, it's rather ironic that I just had the same idea when I read a thread titled "sawdust furnace" over on www.backyardmetalcasting.com .

I think you're trying to feed sawdust from a hopper into a fireplace firebox using a screw feed mechanism, hence the meatgrinder reference.

I'm that guess is wrong, then my next guess is that you are going to try making wood pellets from waste sawdust. If so, I can tell you that the pressures required to crush sawdust into pellets is enormously higher than a meat grinder could ever make.

Sorry if I sound negative, I'm only telling you what Herb Feischl from Binder told me when we renovated two 20' shipping containers for Binder at work. Binder makes pellet stove equipment. Their business cards bear the slogan "Energy from biomass".

I think a screw fed, sawdust fuelled woodstove would be great.

posted Hide Post
Didn't try a meat grinder but I did try an old garbage disposal, grinds a small (very small) amount at a time but the sawdust won't eject out the side, it just goes round-n-round like in a blender and gets even finer.

I did a bit of reading about "papercrete", they use verious home-built tub grinder designs to chop up the paper, one website was about to sell plans for a big heavy duty blender type grinder of some sort, they clamed it would grind up glass or even old electronic circuit boards, it used a lawn mower blade as the grinding device but they seem to be out of business. My approach will be to use a 100 pound propane tank as the container for the blender, cut the top completely out of the tank and mount a bearing assembly from a lawn tractor deck in the bottom with a 12 inch long mower blade inside the bottom of the tank, mount a vertical shaft lawnmower engine on the tank and belt it to the blade. There will be a 3-4 inch diameter opening in the bottom of the tank just under the blade for the ground material to exit the tank, the high speed spinning blade should act as a bit of a pump to poop the stuff out of the tank. For papercrete they simply pour the mix into there molds, my idea is to push the slightly damp sawdust into the input of a BIG gear pump that is being turned slowly (commercial wood pellet EXTRUDERS (not peelet machines) use a tapers screw to make the pressure, the extruders make about 3-4 thousands pounds pressure, pellet machines are stated at 20-30 thousand pounds presure). May not work if the sawdust won't clear out of the spaces between the gear teeth, may pack between the gears as they mesh together?, may have to make a pump housing where the gears don't actually mesh? (another option is to use a big worm gear speed reducer as the pump, it's big gear should not clog as the worm will continuously wipe the space between the teeth clean) The output of the gear pump will taper down to a smaller size, (commercial wood pellet extruder outputs are from 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch in diameter) I think a large toothed gear pump will pass the damp ground sawdust just fine as long as it is being fed into the pump with a bit of pressure, once it passes through the gear pump it should get pressurized against the output restriction just like anything else going through a gear pump. The compressed extruded damp sawdust will be pooped out as a continuous sausage, still working on just how to handle this continuous sausage. It takes heat to activate the natural lignin binder in wood so I intend to add some sort of heat (propane flame, electric?) to the 10-12 inch long tapered section on the extrusion output from the pump (I have an old 1 1/2 inch-to-3/4 inch fire nozzle to try as the tapered restriction?)

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a meat grinder.

97 powerstroke wvo two tank hih heated filter mallory fi110 veg pump looped return on veg
02 vw jetta two tank hih davco filter greace car suply& retun valve webasto parking heater(block heater)
home heated with wvo clean burn drip heater as of 10/01/12 drip heater in storage. Low WVO supply, back to burning wood.

posted Hide Post
meat grinder is to make the pellets with.

Soak the papertowls (pre shreeded?) in WVO, mush it together till its like a blob of meat and slap it into the meat grinder. As if feeds out (if this works at all) slice and dice it as it comes out to form pellets. Then dry it.

Pellet stoves have auto feed hoppers already, wont need meat grinder to feed it. Just to make pellets from the mushy blob of paper towl.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by harry3:
I have a meat grinder.
harry if you have the time.... steal some heavy waste type paper towls from a public restroom. Might want to wear rubber gloves as you snatch it from a trashcan. This is the type I get from my school. Brown paper towl pulled from a roll.

anyway, soak em, blob them together and see if your meat grinder will grind it?

If you got a paper shredder... try it after shreading some, soaking them... then grinding.

I may be totally wrong on the posibility to use a grinder as a pellitizer.

Can understand why you would not be willing to subject your meat grinder to that. No problem if you would rather not.

posted Hide Post
Spraying the cellulose with WVO would likely help the stuff run through a meat grinder better than water would. Water has low lubricity, but WVO has excellent lubricity.

posted Hide Post
sorry I am not communicating well.

Once again..... the paper would be soaked first in WVO, drain it and put globs of the soaking paper thru the grinder. Thought is that soaked in WVO paper might have the consistency of meat.

THERE IS NO WATER being used.

posted Hide Post
What about using glycerin byproduct as a binder?

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sounds like a great idea. I don't know any biodiesel makers anywhere near me though.