BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Burning Glycerin Works But...

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burning Glycerin Works But...
 Login/Join

2014 Sponsor

posted
Well, I've done some more experiments with burning glycerin and have figured out how to do it. (in my burner anyhow)

It has to be mixed with motor oil 50/50 and the mix is only good for about 15 minutes or so before it separates.

however, when it is mixed and burned with waste motor oil, it burns really REALLY good.

My shop heater has several adjustments that can be made on the unit.. Usually just adjusting the fuel feed is enough to adjust the output between 70,000 and 200,000 estimated btu's.. but not with glycerin mixed in.. Dang does that stuff burn with gusto!! I had to adjust my burner head for a much smaller fuel feed and turn down my pump.. and I still got 150,000 + btu's out of it.. That's the minimum I could get it to go.. I can not believe how aggresively it burned with the glycerin mixed in..
The next step is to figure out how to mix the two together just before injection to the burner head. Doing it in the tank wont work.. They separate within 15 minutes.

To test the separation time, I used new transmission fluid because its red and easy to see.. Mixed 250ml WMO with 250ml of glycerin by-product (with meth) and shook the crap out of the jar for about 30 seconds.
Complete separation within 15 to 20 minutes. I'd suppose that WMO would probably take a bit longer.

But boy does it burn hot.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Any kind of paddle mixer should work, even if fired by 12V. If you really want to get snarky you can even gerry rig (sp?) a 12V automotive fan with an extended shaft. Some have two speeds too.POwer source? Battery or solar panel.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure does, I have an outdoor wood burner to heat my house and my garage. Its the "getter going good" fuel. I had collected 55 gallons in a barrel, so I stuck a cheapy 10 dollar harbor freight pump in it, I pump the glycerin in half gallon plastic containers and put inside the wood burner. Its win win, I get rid of the glycerin and it helps heat my house.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40 Gallon 2 tank Biodiesel processors, Well built, Easy to use, Quality parts. pm for pictures and details! http://www.revolution-biodiesel.com/

Running B100 in my Ford 2004 and 2005 F-350 Ext Cab

Location: roscoe, il | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
Any kind of paddle mixer should work, even if fired by 12V. If you really want to get snarky you can even gerry rig (sp?) a 12V automotive fan with an extended shaft. Some have two speeds too.POwer source? Battery or solar panel.

I was actually thinking about using a very small static mixer. This would be a perfect application for one because my fuel pump is a diaphram type which pulses. Like a Pulsatron pump. or maybe a kitchen type cake batter mixer enclosed inside a pipe with a motor turning it or something.

I'll figure it out Smile but i love the fact that I can burn it. I refuse to burn veg-oil because that's reserved for bio.. and there is only so much motor oil available so its nice to be able to extend the fuel supply and kill off some of my by product storage.

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
One of those static mixers normally used for epoxy mixing. Like Johno used on his double pumper.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
One of those static mixers normally used for epoxy mixing. Like Johno used on his double pumper.

Yup.. I agree..

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
Hey Murphy,

I was going to put in a link for these small static mixers from Newark InOne (formerly Newark Electronics), one of my instrumentation suppliers. I just found out they won't stock the stuff anymore and are quoting a lead time of over a month.

If you want (and you don't already have some) I can send you a couple of these. Send me a PM with your info.

Horn

Location: Flint, MI | Registered: February 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a customer who I did test with and I have been told that he is burning 100% glycerin in our Thermobile Used oil Heater. This is a CSA listed Vaporizer unit. We are planning more tests to see how the glycerin burns. Look at www.waterstove.com. Thanks John h

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:

To test the separation time, I used new transmission fluid because its red and easy to see.. Mixed 250ml WMO with 250ml of glycerin by-product (with meth) and shook the crap out of the jar for about 30 seconds.
Complete separation within 15 to 20 minutes. I'd suppose that WMO would probably take a bit longer.

Murphy,

I'd sure be interested in knowing the separation time and burn quality with NO methanol. Bet others would too.

Bob

Location: Redding, CA | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobkrack:
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:

Murphy,

I'd sure be interested in knowing the separation time and burn quality with NO methanol. Bet others would too.

Bob

Yup.. I agree and want to know the same. My first experiments were just an off the cuff attempt.

As for right now, my fuel tank is empty and i've been busy making cad drawings. Its to dang cold to go hunting for oil and the mysterious wmo containers have almost stopped showing up.

When I get back out there, I will do another experiment when I get time.

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
quote:
The next step is to figure out how to mix the two together just before injection to the burner head.

Do you think they need to be thoroughly mixed? Or just present at the same time at the nozzle, given the 8psi air blasting vaporization scheme?

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan P.:
quote:
The next step is to figure out how to mix the two together just before injection to the burner head.

Do you think they need to be thoroughly mixed? Or just present at the same time at the nozzle, given the 8psi air blasting vaporization scheme?

They need to be blended. Mixed up really good. Shaken not stirred sort-to-speak.

The better you mix, the longer it stays mixed.

Graham suggested a drop of soap to act as an emulsifier

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
I think it may be the soap more than the glycerine that causes the burning problems. Acidulating to convert the soap to ffa may help. I will be trying this out at some stage and will report back.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
I think it may be the soap more than the glycerine that causes the burning problems. Acidulating to convert the soap to ffa may help. I will be trying this out at some stage and will report back.

I havent done much work on this lately.. Here's why.
In order to get good answers to all our speculation, I have to get personal with the flame.. Can't do that when its installed in the heater and if I remove it, I'll be freezing my a$$ off inside of 10 minutes. My shop insulation doesnt exsist.. Just block walls with cracks and plywood.

I'll get to it when I make a second unit..

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
You don't have to add motor oil to glycerin to be able to burn it. There is technology available which burns 100% crude glycerin. That is much more economical and enviromentaly friendly. Here is the burner: http://www.glycerinburners.com/
and here is the video: http://video.google.com/videop...38504333984222&hl=en

posted Hide Post
Hey All,
I have a bio/diesel,,,Glycerin boiler up and running.Will be doing some fine tuning of the system soon.And should have it ready to market to folks that are serious bio/diesel fuel producers. I will try to keep you all posted on this system..

Location: Lupton.,Michigan | Registered: August 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
has anyone tried out the Alterheat glycerin burner? I like that it can be substituted directly into a number of existing oil furnaces - according to their website.

cheers

richard