BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    does anybody use straight wvo for home heating

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

does anybody use straight wvo for home heating
 Login/Join

posted
I had trouble using some bio I made last fall in my oil furnace but finally get the problem fixed. A few small batches were under-reacted (I didn't use the 3/27 test). If I had trouble burning under-reacted bio how do people burn wvo? I have a beckett burner .

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear some people are heating their houses with wvo burnt in a babington burner.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heatbeater
-I am burning biodiesel in my shop since feb. on straight bio it burns better than diofuel. I started adding wvo to the mix and noticed no diferance until I hit 30% the burner did not want to lite with that mix so I backed off to 20% and everything is fine. Took the burner out last week to have a look, everything very good. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This company, Inov8 Intl, makes what they claim to be the world's first furnace that will burn cooking oil.

The secret? A needle that slides into the injection nozzle to keep grease residue from building up.

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most proven reliable way of burning heavy oil, either used engine oil or veg, is to use a syphon style burner assembly and apply a LOT of heat to thin the oil. All of the commercial waste oil burning heaters that I have researched and inspected use the syphon burner approach, some are more elaborate than others. The same syphon burner will burn veg or used motor oil but the preheat temps will be different.

I have just now assembled the parts to convert a standard Beckett pressure type home fueloil burner over to a heated syphon style burner. I have about $600.00 in the parts, most of which have been from Ebay at well under there retail cost. This burner will preheat the oil to around 120 deg f just prior to the oil being sucked through the heated ckburners.com syphon-type final heater block, the ckburners heater block is located inside the 4 inch diameter blast tube and supplies an adjustable (pic controlled) preheat of from 150 to 220 deg f (or whatever) temp to both the syphon air and to the oil that the hot air draws up from the oil preheat tank, the hot air/oil is vaporized into the burner box and ignited using the stock electric spark. For reliable operation the burner needs to use both pre and post purge steps to insure adequate preheat before ignition, and to clear the heated channels of oil after shutdown to reduce coaking and eliminate the need to disassemble the burner and manually clean the baked crud from the internal passages. The use of the pre/post steps require the use of one of the lastest oil burner primary safty control units now avialable for use with home oil burners.

For detailed info use the "altfuelfurnace" yahoo groups link at the top of this "biodiesel for heating" forum.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that the weather has warmed up but we still have cool nights I started to use some of my bio that I had to re-work and it seems to be going allright. I thought maybe I'd have problems with the cad eye causing the furnace to shut-down but so far everything is good burning B100. I'm just pondering on the use of burning wvo. i know a car mechanic that has a system for burning used motor oil and probably could burn wvo but its a pricey set-up. The only thing about making bio is the time involved ,especially with the wash and dry. Everything I'm using is homemade so it's taking some time to iron out the wrinkles.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Despite this being the Biodiesel Heating Forum.... it was the first forum on the board about heating thus.... mixed thru here is TONS of threads on using WVO as heater fuel.

Just do some reading, you'ld have to be pretty blind to miss the threads on this.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you haven't seen this yet, Yellow Heat Furnace is now available that burns unfiltered and unheated WVO cleanly and easily. The entire furnace is a fraction of the Inov8 furnace cost, or any other brand. It uses so little power it may be operated on 2 solar panels. No processing! Just upend the cube of waste oil, push the start button and relax. Absolutely clean, safe and easy. Available for shops and other commercial spaces. See the site at YellowHeat.com
Tom Leue

Location: Ashfield, MA USA | Registered: March 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did see something about Yellow Heat , some one bashed that it's claims of burning wvo problem free weren't true. I haven't really checked it out . I'll have to check the posts back in Jan or Feb.

posted Hide Post
Inov8 has a patent on their 'needle in the injector' system so if Yellow Heat doesn't have something like this I don't know what they're doing special. Their website says they start up on conventional fuel until the system is warm enough, but this would not solve the problem of residue buildup in the injectors.

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think Yellow Heat uses injectors unless they have changed. It looked to me like a Babbington in the one vid I did see.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, its is a Babington burner. I use a stainless steel screening bucket to get rid of the BCB's. Then a bottom drain to off the water and sludge. After that, the system has a floating drawoff to get the best oil into the burner. If the oil is especially cold or wet, it needs a little standard fuel to get some heat going, then it will operate on the vegetable oil all day without further problems. It works well. It is low cost. See a lot more at http://yellowheat.com , including the Operation Manual and pictures. Its guaranteed. It works. Try it, you'll like it.

Location: Ashfield, MA USA | Registered: March 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
After that, the system has a floating drawoff to get the best oil into the burner

What this saying is that the best oil is always on the top of the oil (wvo?). Eventually the best oil will be used up,then what happens? There must be a reason why the burner needs the "best" oil.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatbeater:
quote:
After that, the system has a floating drawoff to get the best oil into the burner

What this saying is that the best oil is always on the top of the oil (wvo?). Eventually the best oil will be used up,then what happens? There must be a reason why the burner needs the "best" oil.
In theory Babington burners will burn the least cleaned oil out of all oil burner systems presently in use if I'm not mistakent. Still though chunks of stuff might clog fuel pump lines or make the flow across the babington ball uneven if it does get thru the pump.

A floating oil pick up allows chunks to settle while the burner is feed little cleaner oil from the top. Odds are the float is limited not allowing the fuel pick up to get to close to the bottom where it might pick up some gunk. In that case.. it just runs out of fuel and your heater cuts off.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post