BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    making a bio-d stove

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

making a bio-d stove
 Login/Join

posted
cant we make this stove more practical as in making a wick stove to run purely on plant oil is that NT possible i guess it is not ,but
ok is there any useful thing bio diesel can be be used for except for cars.

Question:
cant we make this stove more practical

Choices:
may be to make it run on diesel alone
may be to use it for other things

posted Hide Post
Sure, you can heat with biodiesel, check out KUMA stoves. The biggest factor is getting enough of a flow to get it to burn. A stove that runs on heating oil or diesel won't run on bd, gravity fed, unless you increase the flow.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel does not wick up like kero, hho or diesel. I have a Kuma stove and heated my 2500 sq ft house all last winter on B100. See this thread:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8541078231/m/1971058512

"Talk is cheap because supply usually exceeds demand."

Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raften, Hi,
are you saying my Siegler pot burner that runs on fuel oil, won't run on BD??
I'll be awfully disapointed if it doesn't, as that's the only reason I bought it at an old school auction 3 years ago.
I won't even go into what I went through getiing it in the house this winter, fluing it out, and then filling up an old tank with fuel oil. I'll kick myself if it turns out it won't burn BD.

Location: Raymond, NE | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rx, I read my post and am guilty of makeing a blanket statement without the proper facts.

Let me try again. My experiance is with a EFEL pot burner stove with a specific carburator whose maker I can't remember right now. I could get a weak blend to burn but not B100 I ordered a new carb with a bigger metering valve which will allow it to run strong on a B80 and weak on B100. I don't know what a Siegler has for a carb so all I can say is try it.

Let me just say that for me getting a stove that I can run bd in has been an adventure. Very few people know anything about oil stoves in this area and those that don't ran off screaming when I described my plan to get the stove pipe installed. Had I the bucks, a KUMA would be in my house but I would still have to hide everything from the city inspectors.

In short, the ability to burn bd seems to depend on the flow of fuel (quanity), temp of the bd, and how strong a draft you create for a pot burner. A pot burner really needs a strong draft.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post