BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    B100 in Becket Oil Gun

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B100 in Becket Oil Gun
 Login/Join

posted
Friends, I am new to the forum. I am using B100 in a Unicell hot 84,000 btu hot air heater to heat my bio room. I am using the standard .65 80 nozzle and am having problems with excessive soot and coking. Ran perfect last season but seems to be running more dirty this season. I cleaned the system again today and got it running again. The old tip was glazed black. I turned up the pump pressure but don't have a gauge so not sure of the exact pressure. Put a webster bio pump on the unit and I think it is preset at 100 psi. I also am running the air intake at around 4.5. No black smoke and seems to be running better. Question. Why am I getting so much soot and why is the tip glazing black? Also getting dripping of fuel from the base of the fan case. I have not painted the interior of the combustion tube with silver paint yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Smedley:
... I am using B100... Ran perfect last season but seems to be running more dirty this season....

"B100" from what source? Does it meet ASTM specs for moisture, soap and glycerol?
The deposits on the burner tip indicate fuel contaminated from these materials.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if your sooting up then you don't have sufficient combustion air for the amount of oil being burned. My boiler never cokes up unless I cheat a bit and mix veggy oil in with the biodiesel or dinodiesel.
The viscosity of the biodiesel can also play a part.
install one size larger nozzle, they are cheap.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like its not setup properly as Tom eluded to.
If you can adjust the distance from the tip of the nozzle to the retention head, you could try moving it forwards or back an 1/8". It seems to me that the Becket does not have that adjustment though?
Make sure your electrodes are clean and set properly too, if the nozzle is getting glazed it could be the electrodes are too close to it, pitted electrodes also make for a big messy arc which could be effecting it.
Once the nozzle tip gets crap on it I would throw it away and get a new one, it doesn't take much to throw the spray pattern off.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post