BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    washing BD for drip stove....

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

washing BD for drip stove....
 Login/Join

posted
hello all,

i will be blending BD to HHO this winter and was wondering if its worth the effort to remove the methanol that will remain in the unwashed BD.

i plan to simply adding a 'T' with a valve for the BD to flow along with the HHO line.

my pot belly stove also has a centering unit 'catalyser' that resembles the picture below if this changes anything??

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some unwashed fuel on hand I might give it a try this week.

I don't think leaving the methanol in will hurt since a lot of it will go away in handling anyway. I start my stove by opening the valve, getting a small pool, and throwing in 20 or 30 ml of methanol followed by a match. Leaves less crap on the bottom to scrap off later than a fire starter does.

I am more worried about the soap being left in. I figure it will either clog the carb filter or plug the metering valve. If that happens it makes no sense to not wash it as the carb will have to be taken apart and cleaned right when you need the heat.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good point about the soap.

i dont know if you water/dry wash but will a centrifuge as a final polish remove all soap and suspended glycerin after the glycerol is drained or a wash is still required?

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The soap will stay in solution until the methanol is removed. If you remove the methanol the soap will drop out, no water washing required, just time...
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post