BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    3rd oil heater so far, this one is based on the Sanders heater concept.
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd oil heater so far, this one is based on the Sanders heater concept.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigman:
Hmmm running pretty good very low fuel rates ..kinda wonderin if the t on the air intake is fouling up air flow doesnt seem like i get enough air running about 3/4 open on butterfly and still not real clean sooty. I also did not get a fan hooked up yet and the fact it is a 12inch firebox inside a 14inch tube for heat chamber it does not radiate alot of heat either...36 hrs steady burn I changed burner just beacause, it was very clean I added 1 pict down the air intake thru glass burning

For a test can you or did you take the glass off and close the butterfly.
So this heat camber, is it a heat exchanger witch covers the 12" heater? I think so, the fan then will move warm air not for the air intake, right?
The pic of the flame looks quite hot almost white. But it may just be the pic. It will be interesting to see how it burns at 3.5 cups per hour. When I'm burning hot the drip becomes more of a run(running out of the tube).
In some of my earlier posts I discribed how I eststablished a cleaner burn by covering the burn pot with a plate that has holes in it and on top of this plate a telescopic pipe that slips up the outside dia. of the air tube. A revision that gave me a whole new respect for wvo drip heaters. This I think helps pull lots more air down into the burner.
I have a hard time posting pics---sloooow dial up.

97 powerstroke wvo two tank hih heated filter mallory fi110 veg pump looped return on veg
02 vw jetta two tank hih davco filter greace car suply& retun valve webasto parking heater(block heater)
home heated with wvo clean burn drip heater as of 10/01/12 drip heater in storage. Low WVO supply, back to burning wood.

posted Hide Post
fan would be for heat blower . I just posted a pic of burner after 30 hr's i just changed to look at it.. I may raise the burner 1" and see what that does..

wvo is no longer waste when we harness it's power!!!

Location: simms montana | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pot don't look to bad for 30 hours. My record was 24 days but then it was burning dirty. I try to shut down about once a week to clean out my cast iron burn pot.
quote:
fan would be for heat blower . I just posted a pic of burner after 30 hr's i just changed to look at it.. I may raise the burner 1" and see what that does..

97 powerstroke wvo two tank hih heated filter mallory fi110 veg pump looped return on veg
02 vw jetta two tank hih davco filter greace car suply& retun valve webasto parking heater(block heater)
home heated with wvo clean burn drip heater as of 10/01/12 drip heater in storage. Low WVO supply, back to burning wood.

posted Hide Post
hmmmm did an actual timed test was about 2/3 pint per hr..retimed and set at 1 pint per hr. i am noticing that the obvious air flow with burn pot directly below air intake is almost directly sideways across burner the side the exhaust flue is on has very little burn HMMMM. I do have white smoke coming out chimney not alot not dark at all. HMMMM

Location: simms montana | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White or blue smoke is O K in my books. As the pot cokes up I think the smoke will turn more black. Do you think that some oil is splattering on the inside wall of the heater? This might make it smoke some I don't know for sure.
My drip tube extends only about 10"s into the air intake, this way it never needs to be cleaned out and the oil seems to hit the burn pot harder and disperse better. With the drip tube shorter the oil would sometimes shower out of the end then get on the inside wall of the air intake. I corrected that by shoving a wire into the end of the drip tube(about 6") 1" or so sticking out the end. This causes the oil to drip straight off the end of the wire with no splatter. I can position the drip on different parts of the burn pot by moving the drip tube left or right, forward or backward. By doing this moves the fuel to a cleaner spot in the pot and I think burns a lot of the coking where the drip was hitting before. I to notice that the flame will hit different sides of the heater depending a lot on what side of the pot the drip hits. When burning Hot sometimes I will position the drip to hit directly on the cover of my pot(not thru one of the holes) this gives me a very clean burn and the cover remains so hot that it never cokes up. Do you have the butterfly wired up yet? How will you wire it?

quote:
hmmmm did an actual timed test was about 2/3 pint per hr..retimed and set at 1 pint per hr. i am noticing that the obvious air flow with burn pot directly below air intake is almost directly sideways across burner the side the exhaust flue is on has very little burn HMMMM. I do have white smoke coming out chimney not alot not dark at all. HMMMM

posted Hide Post
It is acceptable....more soot inside stove then i would like but I will add diesel to oil for hot burn every once in a while... no splashing showing, but for sure there is a clockwise flow of the flame on casing a s shown by soot deposit. wind was 40mph when I left home today and still burning. the butterfly will be wired to a fusible link attached to flue near damper .. it has a switch it hit's when closed that cuts power to pump at same time. I put the heater fan on last night Temporary wired it will have a snap switch on it "it needs snap switch , when on it cools the stove pretty quickly"... I did remove my sight glass and close butterfly no change so i put it back we are expecting 65mph gusts today so i will see if it is burning tonight LOL

posted Hide Post
quote:
the butterfly will be wired to a fusible link attached to flue near damper .. it has a switch it hit's when closed that cuts power to pump at same time.

But what moves and or holds it open or closed? Relay? Solenoid? spring?
Boy 65mph wind!!! Hang on to your cubbies.

posted Hide Post
the fuseable link is just attached to keeper for shutdown butterfly the buttlerfly is heavy and gravity closes it if the link burns....360 degree fuse link

posted Hide Post
Cool, I just came from the web site you posted on page 20 for that fuse,very simple. I was thinking it was an electrical fuse. I like it a lot. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
been out dinkin with it....#1 it takes about an hr and a 1/2 for the burner to get efficent...I ned to figure that out. I am using 1 qt very thin dog dish on ins wool for insulation..Ideas?? wind blowing about 35mph right now so pretty unstable. my stove burner looks almost exactly like tim's on page 18 when he shows it in ash except mine is on inswool

posted Hide Post
Okay Ideas...running under pint per hr it runs steady and resonably clean..over that and it's unstable and dirty. seems like burn pot is just too cool for more then that.. HMMM ran all night 40mph winds but i really need more heat

posted Hide Post
Is the fuel preheated. I loop my feed line 3 or 4 times around the 6" flu. Did you try to cut down the air some to get the pot hotter? Maybe if the oil is pooling in the pot shut off supply it will get hot then give it more fuel? Did you try to work up the supply slowly? Is the fan on does the pot need the extra heat from the skin to keep the pot hot? That heater should heat like H-ll, can't kink of anything more for now.
quote:
Okay Ideas...running under pint per hr it runs steady and resonably clean..over that and it's unstable and dirty. seems like burn pot is just too cool for more then that.. HMMM ran all night 40mph winds but i really need more heat

posted Hide Post
yes preheat 90 degrees in fuel tank.....does pool above flow rate mentioned tried a pool and back off then speed up etc..

posted Hide Post
When I was using a dog dish I always set it in a stainless steel mixing bowl and I still do, my cover with the holes in it sits right on top of the mixing bowl. I don't know if that would help or not. The way I'm set up now a dog dish would burn up in 3 or 4 days, the 6" cast iron melters pot lasted all last winter and is still performing to this day. I could try to draw up a diagram of how it looks if you are interested.

posted Hide Post
This is my old post found on page 16. It is about how I am set up today with a few mods.
quote:
Originally posted by harry3:
Inspirered from this heater here http://www.spicrosoft.com/Heater/Heater1.htm and a u-tube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...g6U&feature=relatedI was able to get a clean burn with my heater using some of the same princables from his heater.
The changes made to my heater.
#1. I had a round 1/4" cast iron plate full of about ½" holes in it. The plate is set over the outer bowl of my burn pot (mixing bowl) inside this bowl is 3 smaller dishes, one is a two quart pet dish it has about 16 holes in it (1/4") about 1" up from the bottom. This is set into a mixing bowl which has about 6 big holes (1") near the top. Inside the two quart pet dish is a small dish that is about the size that may fit about 8oz of fluid. All the dishes are stainless steal, and they are all stuff I had kept from different testing.
#2. I cut a 5"piece of 31/2"x1/4" wall pipe. This pipe fits over my air intake down inside the heater it basically enables me to extend the air tube so it sits on top of the cast plate. Now all the air must go thru the holes in the plate to enter the pot and the exhaust goes thru the holes in the plate on the other side of the pipe. I have the oil dripping on the plate itself not thru one of the holes. Much to my amazement the plate gets and stays red hot. At the drip set for a medium heat I see no smoke coming out the stak, when set on high it does smoke a little. I believe that I can fine tune the Burner ( different holes and sizes) for a cleaner burn yet. I can hear the heater sizzle and it sounds like a torch. It has only been burning for 3 hours. Here is a pic looking down the are tube. You can see six holes in the plate.

posted Hide Post
This is a very rough drawing of my deal.
the cover siting on the mixing bowl, the short pipe slide up the air pipe then slid down on to the cover.

Imagersz_burn_pot.jpg (44 Kb, 26 downloads)

posted Hide Post
I am confused now...This Dang thing..LOL ok sustained winds near 60 mph today several gusts that maxed my Oregon scientific meter..and guess what? Got home from the shop and the oil stove is running smooth?? it appears to have quite a bit of crud in burner "still burnin" and actually is running hotter now then 12 hrs ago no air changes no pump changes..HMM I am wonderin does the crud in the bowl hold heat and cause better combustion? It is for sure an animal i need to Tame LOL running steady 25hrs now********went out 1 hr after writing this..whew stove flameout looked down intake and could see bowl glowing full of stuff Bowl actual was full of clinkers but they all were loose just dumped out of bowl i will post pick of bowl in pict post above somehow need to keep burner hotter and it burns good ******

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tigman,

posted Hide Post
Ya, when I was doing all the R and D on my heater so many times I came so close to scraping the whole drip heater project! Glad I hung in there.
I was wondering whats different from the first heater that you built. Making it act this way?

posted Hide Post
the outside heat exchanger the 90 degree bend in the air intake the barometric damper AND i am watching this one and wanting to leave it unattended and running all winter the other would run occassionall for a coupl or 3 days at a time was very dirty ...

posted Hide Post
I just cut a circle of 1/4inch thick alum to set under burn pot hoping to create a bigger mass for heat retention ubder burner?? we will see