BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Waste Oil Boiler Build-It-Yourself

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waste Oil Boiler Build-It-Yourself
 Login/Join

2014 Sponsor

posted
Here's a look at my latest project.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDt5LEYpxVY

The plans (about 160 pages) should be online and available sometime this coming Monday 11/23/09

I've been heating my home with it for about three weeks now. It's been getting down into the low 40's here in Michigan and we've even had some temps below 30 at night.

Its fully automated and tied into my thermostat and forced air system. We used to keep the thermostat at 62 or 63 degrees to save money and would wear sweaters to stay warm. Now we keep it up at around 68 or 70 as we please.

I spent about $250 to build the basic non-automated boiler unit. Adding automation controls increased the cost considerably but was well worth it.

The hot water is sent through underground pipes to a coil in my forced air furnace and I have a second thermostat that turns on only the furnace fan to control the heat in the house.

Works great!

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Looks good.

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just checking in to see if you feel this unit could be scaled down to a small cabin. It's under 200sq feet.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeepin, moggin Jessup (coachgeo):
just checking in to see if you feel this unit could be scaled down to a small cabin. It's under 200sq feet.

Not a chance.. Unless of course, you don't mind leaving the windows and doors wide open.. and you might need to cut a large hole in the roof to let out the excess heat. LOL

Heating 200 sqft would probably only require about 5000 to 10,000 btu's.

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
understand ya Murphy.

Cant believe how big a pain it has been to find something small to fit this cabin.
As in so far have found NOTHING and been searching for more than a year now.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
For something that small, what's wrong with just using propane? Or a small wood stove?

Even one of those small camping heaters would do it.

How cold is it outside? Is it insulated? How long do you need heat for?

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
There are lots of options to heat a small cabin in Texas, however the absolutely PERFECT option can be elusive.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many gallons of water are in the unit alone?

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatbeater:
How many gallons of water are in the unit alone?

Heat exchanger volume is about 36 gallons

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
Very nice unit. I will be getting those plans soon.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
www.turnerindustriesinc.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
The plans are now available at:
http://www.murphysmachines.com/boiler.html

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
Awesome unit! What are you using for a heat exchanger? I built your waste oil burner and totally happy with it but as the shop has radiant heat I want the boiler. My problem now is this unit is for outside and have nowhere to put it. I was hoping the oil burner could be adapted to heat water. Why couldn't I get an exchanger from a boiler and incorporate it somehow? Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Judging by your female model I'm guessing the unit stands 9 - 10 feet tall correct? Things take awhile to get done around here but I did manage to get the burner assembly done from the last plans but haven't welded it to the bottom plate yet. Can it be adapted to the new plans?

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2rods:
Awesome unit! What are you using for a heat exchanger? I built your waste oil burner and totally happy with it but as the shop has radiant heat I want the boiler. My problem now is this unit is for outside and have nowhere to put it. I was hoping the oil burner could be adapted to heat water. Why couldn't I get an exchanger from a boiler and incorporate it somehow? Thanks.

Thank you for the kind words!

The heat exchanger design is much like the waste oil heater with a few extra clever tricks added to make it more efficient.
Heating water is literally 70 times harder than heating air. (water is 70 times denser than air)

You could put the boiler inside a shop if you needed but you'd have to redesign the exhaust hood/stack and double think any automation options.

www.MurphysMachines.Com

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Train:
Judging by your female model I'm guessing the unit stands 9 - 10 feet tall correct? Things take awhile to get done around here but I did manage to get the burner assembly done from the last plans but haven't welded it to the bottom plate yet. Can it be adapted to the new plans?

Yes. It stands about 9 feet tall but it could be shortened up a foot or two if I wanted. Being that its outside I wasn't concerned with it.

The burner unit for my waste oil heater is the same technology as my boiler but the parts are all very different.

One interesting note, the automation kit I sell for the boiler will also fit the original air/furnace heater.

www.MurphysMachines.Com