BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Parts for Toby carb? need a new filter

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parts for Toby carb? need a new filter
 Login/Join

posted
Deville stove burning a mix of Bio and offroad diesel, pulled the filter for the 1st time and it must have been installed incorrectly, as it's all bent and twisted up - need to find a new one.

Searched unsuccessfully online - anybody have resources for Toby parts?

thanks

Location: West Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I tried doing a net search in French as well as those were originally built in France, but nothing either. I am inclined to think that Fram might have something that would work,although that is a guess and usually Fram is junk, or maybe auto zone ??? Bring the old one and see if you can't match it up.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hutch 56 I came across this site http://philssawshop.com/devill...heating_unit.htm.htm.
If they sell the heating units I would think that they stock replacement parts.
Best Regards,
JoeD

Location: Western Mass. | Registered: March 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with the filter on my Refleks stove which has a control valve made by Toby. Refleks in Denmark have spares for all of their models but you may have trouble identifying exactly which model matches their range. I fixed the old one by finding a pvc tube that was a good fit for the inside of the filter. I drilled a lot of holes in the tube and slid it into the filter. That straightened it up anmd made it a good fit.
Another approach would be to take out the filter completely and fit a standard inline filter of the sort fitted to most central heating burners on the fuel supply line. In a way they are better because if they have a clear plastic body you can inspect for dirt without taking it apart.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response guys, I have contacted Phil's saw shop to see if he can supply a replacement screen/filter. I did rig up a small tube with holes in it to straighten out the twisted / crushed one.

Still having problems however, only getting very little fuel entering the carb (Toby)
I pulled the thing apart several times, ran with and without screen, adjusted the float, etc. still not getting enough fuel into the carb to keep up with the burn - sure wish the stove manual came with some directions on adjusting the internals on the carb. There is a tapered brass slide with adjustment nut and spring on bottom , don't seem to do anyting?

Location: West Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has your heater run well on the fuel mix you mentioned or did the problem start when you started to use this fuel?

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Your problem is likely due to the fuel blend being a bit thicker than the carb was designed for. Read through the MILITARY HEATERS ON EBAY discussion for info concerning this problem. All the older commercial kerosine pot burners, as well as the mil burner units, use float type carburetors that were designed for either gasoline or kerosine so don't flow nearly enough of the thicker biodiesel. There are severel different carburetors discussed, both the mil units and many different new and old commercial pot burner heaters. there is also info on how folks have reworked them for biod, has to do with reshaping the tapered slots in the flow rate section controlled by the external knob. Some of the heaters that are still being made have factory replacement parts designed for use with buodiesel.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, the stove ran fine for one full season and half this winter on the same fuel mix (50 bio / 50 offroad diesel) starting running into a fuel starvation problem, thought it was the filter (screen was damaged) nope, it's the float valve that regulates the flow into the carb - something is wrong and have no manual on the Toby carb.