BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    turkburner with deposit

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

turkburner with deposit
 Login/Join

posted
Hi

I build a turk burner made the inner cup of stainless steal it starts up very well and I have a contante flow of WMO.

I ran it during 1 hour I was getting a clean burn with it no smoke but in the cup there is a big deposite of ashes!!

What am I Doing wrong to create so much deposite??

posted Hide Post
Not a thing, any Turk burners I am familiar with will always produce some ash and also usually some very hard "coal" type deposits after a longer time burning.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The surface the fuel sits on needs to get hot enough to burn the deposits. Otherwise they accumulate. To help conduct heat to the bottom I added some vertical "fins" that also acted as flame holders. They stick up into the flame, and get red hot.

I've also tried making a false-bottom in the burner, to insulate the fuel "cup" from the cold outside air. That sort of helped, but comlicated fuel feed and startup, because it actually made the outside bottom of the burner cooler, therefore more prone to accumulating baked-on deposits.

I haven't played around with the turk this year, so can't report anything else constructive, other than heat is your friend when trying to make anything burn clean. You only get deposits building up when the surface they accumulate upon isn't hot enough. All deposits will burn at some temperature, but obviously some require much higher temperatures than others. figuring out how to get the surfaces to those temperatures is the challenge.

Stainless steel is a poor conductor, relatively speaking. Mild steel is better, and copper or brass is much better. One general concept would be to have the fuel collect in a brass/copper bowl that is heated by conduction from the flames, while insulated from cold outside air.

Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi
thanks for the response!!So with this design will be hard not to get no residue in the burner cup!!!

That means more maintance on daily bases!!how often do you clean the burner cup (hours working)??

Is there any burner that needs less maintence and easier for cleaning??

Thanks

posted Hide Post
It should be possible to modify your Turk burner to operate residue-free. Do you have a shop of sorts and could easily fabricate parts? If so, then check into Murphy's Machines, as well as all the other burner/heater/stove ideas scattered through these forii.

I've never noticed any accumulation of deposits in my Turk Burner, but then I haven't tried running it for very long periods of time. My "dog dish" burner experiments in my wood stove stayed deposit-free as long as there was supplimental heat from some wood. I'd seriously considered adding a propane burner to keep the stainless steel dog dish hot enough to burn WVO cleanly, sort of a propane extender.

I modified my Sears "pot burner" heater to burn biodiesel cleanly, using inspiration from Turk burners (swirl the air and flame) but SVO needs more heat to burn cleanly.

I look forward to hearing how your experiments progress.
Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post