BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    oil heater stopped after 2 months on BD50

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

oil heater stopped after 2 months on BD50
 Login/Join

posted
worked fine until a couple days ago, tried many times and couldn't get it started, called the oil man he changed the filter and the nozzle and now he tells me he won't start it because he says there is oil on the bottom of the water tank from me trying so many times and he is afraid it will explode..... is there a possibility? there mighty be a bit of BD50 from me trying to ignite it but can't be that much any thoughts on this one??
Thanks Leo

Location: ON | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
water tank... oil in it?? Im certainly no expert. but makes no since to me that their would be any way for fuel.... rather it be kero, diesel, or Veg. to get into the water tank. They should not have any connection.

Is this a boiler for heating or a hot water heater?

What make is the burner unit?

did you replace seals, Orings etc. with viton ones or check in advance if it already had some?

Did you ensure your B50 had no left over methanol in it? This would eat seals faster than B50 alone.

Even with bad seals though... can't see any connection with fuel being in the water tank.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "oil heater"? Be more specific.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leo

-when you switch from heating oil to b50 or 100, you have to increase the fuel pressure. if you put the next size smaller nozzel,and chock off the combustion air, it really helps with the ingnition. How many times did you try to start it? and was it realy pumping any oil (it didn't light) remove the burner, and check inside the fire pot. if it is wet with oil, sop it up with lots of paper towel. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is correct I have been a victim of this when I was servicing oil burners. You should only push the reset button once maybe twice. An old service man taught me if you get a spray bottle and mix some Joy liquid soap and water in it and spay it in the chamber use a lot this will slow down the burning of the un-burnt oil in the bottom of the chamber. If is started with out ding some thing once the oil catches on fire it may back draft or it may only sound like a jet engine.

Location: Woodbridge VA | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
andyn

-or it may blow you on your as s Eek been there done that on and out door boiler burning jet fuel -
-sop up the extra fuel for sure!!! Tom

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Now that makes perfect sense. Oil in the bottom of the burn chamber. The orginal poster said oil in the bottom of the water tank.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a fuel oil furnace with a Beckett AFG burner. I never thought there was the chance of an exposion with fuel oil or biodiesel ,but I found out the hard way. I did have an explosion and it made me respect the hazards of un burnt fuel oil. It wasn,t usual rumble type. A serviceman said the unburnt fuel on the bottom of the pot can release vapors and make conditions ideal for an explosion. Don't use the reset to many times. I still need to get my furnace checked because I wonder if the firebox split.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohhh so I'm not alone Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Tom