BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Flexible oil/fuel lines

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flexible oil/fuel lines
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if anyone is using a flexible (other than soft copper) fuel line for their furnace?

Here is one possibility I was considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageNam...IT&item=110068381375

As I tinker with my furnace, I want to be able to open my swinging door on the combustion chamber to play...er...work with the burner, nozzle, check/clean, etc. Pretty much be able to monitor and adjust quickly and easily.

My fuel line is in a position such that I must disconnect it before swinging the door.

A flexible line would make this easier, but I'm not sure about compatibility.

Thoughts or experience?

Thanks.

- JC

Location: Western PA | Registered: August 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found some better lines. 60" teflon with stainless steel braid. Good for fuel, oil, chemicals, etc. 3/8" high pressure.

I ordered some extras. Once I get them and everything checks out, I'll have a few available if anyone is interested.

- JC

Location: Western PA | Registered: August 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well,

What's the verdict?

I was looking at a few suppliers of stainless over teflon tubing... Sounds quite SWEET... up to 16,000 lb pressure rating

http://www.dieboltco.com/smoothflo_seris_hp.php
http://www.dieboltco.com/smoothflo_seris_mpx.php
http://www.bonacoinc.com/teflon_brake_lines.htm

I might have to look at some of that to replace my aging air brake lines for the truck... and hydraulic brake lines for the car as well as miscellaneous fuel lines.

I bet it is a bit expensive though.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flex fuel line - If you don't need much length or ID, a flex line from the output of a grease gun works fine, stands up to high pressure and has normal pipe fitting threads on both ends but each one is only about a foot long, I have connected them end-to-end if I need a longer hose. Harborfreight.com lists an 18 inch grease gun extension hose, with 1/8 inch pipe threads, for $2.99

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in responding. We've had some medical things going on here and I've been quickly scanning over the replies and missed this question.

The lines are working great! No issues whatsoever, and I've been able to switch back and forth with hardly a thought.

The lines I have thread directly into a standard fuel oil canister filter (like the ones on many furaces already) and the other end I added a Tee and a short piece of pipe to my pump.

I thing it took a total of about 10 mins to take the old line apart and install the new setup.

If anyone is interested, I have a few of these lines left. I purchased the additional filter housing for the BD (to keep it separate from the main fuel filter) from Lowes for cheap.

Although the grease gun line sounds interesting, it's a little small and short for my use.

I can let these other ones go for $12. If interested, PM me. Otherwise, I'd be happy to answer any Q's if I can.

- JC

posted Hide Post
Safety wise, I think flex fuel line is ok in a fire as long as you have a fire safety valve on the tank. Teflon will melt. Not sure if flex fuel line (teflon type) will meet code. Anyone knows?

posted Hide Post
These ones are stainless steel braided, high pressure hose. Also suitable for hydraulic.

Nothing is 100% in a fire, but I would think these are probably as good as copper. If enough fire to melt the lining inside the stainless, unfortunately, you have bigger problems Frown

The main thing I look for is resistance to damage from pinching, squashing, accidentally hitting with a torch (don't ask Smile ), etc.

- JC

posted Hide Post
The stainless steel braid will pretty much take care of abrasion issues, but teflon has a service temperature of only 450 or so. That means that it could easily melt/burn/self-destruct in a fire.

--- David

Location: Maine, USA | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post