BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    cracked heat exchanger

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cracked heat exchanger
 Login/Join

posted
I'm pretty sure the heat exchanger in my oil furnace is cracked because I'm getting fumes in my house everytime it comes on. I was wondering if the heat exchanger can be welded. I have no idea how its built. Does anybody have any experience in this field?

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Almost anything can be fixed. The question comes down to reliability and cost.

I could be wrong but I think its best to just replace the whole furnace with a new, high efficiency one.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
I do this type of work for a living. I would not reccomend a repair on a heat exchanger. And even moreso by a novice, If your repair is not good you put yourself and family at risk.

Location: new england | Registered: July 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My HVAC guy told me that I had a "cracked heat exchanger" and said that it would leak carbon monoxide into the house and kill me. I bought a CO detector as I couldn't find a crack. I started doing my own service and after a couple of years, I noticed that the rust was getting excessive and decided to upgrade my furnace.

I purchased a 95% efficient unit online from these guys:

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/v...y.cfm?categoryID=128

It was a small afternoon project to switch them out and I saved a ton over what my ex HVAC guy would have charged me.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll check those guys out Eurocab. I didn't know they made 95% efficiency furnaces for heating oil. Probably will be better to replace the one I have ,its already 15 years old. Maybe I can use it in my shop. I had an explosion a couple of months ago after it didn't fire right away. I didn't think an oil furnace could explode with the kind of force that it put out. An HVAC man said the build of vapors from the unburnt oil in the bottom of the fire pot will explode, that's what happened. I'm pretty sure the force of the explosion ruptured the heat exchanger.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are 95% efficient oil furnaces and boilers available, but not in N.America. It's more protectionist BS like with diesel vehicles. You can get one with a Riello burner that will get efficiencies in the high 80s but that's about the best you can do with what's available here.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
John, you mention protectionist BS ,not sure what you mean. The furnaces and diesel vehicles are made to look clutsy to keep biodiesel at bay for the powerful oil companies. I know European countries are more in favor of biodiesel. In fact a large biodeisel plant in my area ships all of it bio overseas. Get a load of that.

posted Hide Post
Eurocab, my HVAC man said that fumes from heating oil are not good for you ,but there is a slim chance that they will kill you, compared to exhaust from a gas furnace. I'm not sure .

posted Hide Post
quote:
John, you mention protectionist BS ,not sure what you mean.

There are 95% efficient oil furnaces and boilers available in Europe and Asia, but not in N.America. They have been in use for almost a decade. The only thing preventing import is paper BS. What isn't clear about that?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatbeater:
Eurocab, my HVAC man said that fumes from heating oil are not good for you ,but there is a slim chance that they will kill you, compared to exhaust from a gas furnace. I'm not sure .
That's BS. The flue gasses from a gas furnace are benign compared with those from an oil furnace. The CO from either can and does kill people. Don't take chances with flue gasses.