BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Passive Heating

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passive Heating
 Login/Join

posted
A bit off the subject as no bd or wvo is used but it is still a non standard way of heating. I am interested if any of you out there have built a solar box heater. Youtube is full of vids of the type I am talking about and most us aluminumn beverage cans to gathere heat. I am interested in using alum. window screen instead. Any input?

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
I saw that beer can idea weeks ago and love it!!! I'm going to be working on something very similar this fall...

What's the idea with the window screen? I don't understand...

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
The window screen serves the same purpose as the cans, adsorb heat, BUT I think the cans do a bit better job because they force the air to move thru heated channels to gain more heat. I am working on one of each in a small scale to do some testing. The screen unit would be faster to build.

I am going to have to build a triangular box for my south wall so I can get it right up by the roof because of a building next door blocking the lower light.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still confused. How would screen be formed to contain or adsorb heat? The cans work by providing fairly efficient (dirt cheap) means of heat transfer to a small pockets of air and slowing natural convection.

posted Hide Post
I had to check this out. So the idea is like this one?

MAN! I just took in all of my aluminum cans to the scrap yard!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep Ryan, like that. As for the screen, all it does is store a bit of heat just as a can would. More than one layer of screen would be the idea and it could be convoluted like roofing to allow more surface area. The heat stored is then transfered to the air passing thru. I plan to use fans instead of convection. I am talking about metal window screen painted black. When I get my test boxes done I'll report on what I find in temps for the two systems.

I have known about commercial units like this for a long time but the cost put me off. Then I started seeing the can idea units and how cheap they can be made. Plus no one makes a triangle shape which is what I need on one place. A standard shape will do just great for warming up a East facing bedroom that is always cold in the AM.

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Raften,

I hope you prove me wrong but I think your window screen idea is going to fail.

1. Heat transfer with the tiny wires is going to be poor because they are so tiny. The screen idea is a double edge sword in this respect. Lots of surface area to soak up heat but also minimal transfer area.

2. With the beer cans, the heat is transfered into the internal surface which is isolated from the rest of the unit. Air flows through the insides of the can and once heated, never see's a cold surface. With your screen idea, (as I understand it), the screen is going to heat the air up inside the unit as a whole.. (no channels).. but as the warm air moves around the inside, it will contact the cold glass and that's going to cool it back down again.

Or am I misunderstanding your application of the screen?

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
I think you are correct Murphy, not my idea but just one version I have seen on the web. I am only interested it it because I don't get anything in beverage cans and would have to go around begging cans. Plus and proably the most important to me is there is much less labor involved in making the heater. I have seen one that just uses baffles to snake the air back and forth as it travels up the inside.

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
The best idea I've seen so far is one guy who used expandable flexible aluminum clothes dryer ducting. It's cheap and has tiny ridges all over it that greatly increase surface area. It's also easy because its one piece up to six or eight feet long.

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
Got a 3x3 box for a test bed, got some cans, going to divide the box and do a side by side test once I get it insulated and find a cover for it. Two small 12 volt muffin fans to move air. I also have been thinking about how thin sheets of aluminumn stacked and seperated might work.