BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    military heaters onj ebay
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

military heaters onj ebay
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
what keeps the flame from going back into the hose and burning your fuel supply up. also do you have yours gravity fed. I dont see how that jerry can hook up will pull feul out of your jerry can unless you had a fuel pump.

Location: south west Iowa. | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James,

I sent you a personal message.

Larry

Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A flame isn't going to travel up a hose. A flame needs oxygen to burn and there is none availble in the hose.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the jerry can adapter fits tighty in the opening. if you look at the jerry can , you see a hole near the edge. this is an air tube that extends almost to bottom of the can. can is turned upside down.that's why the handle has 3 grips. the hose on the adapter has a "drip loop"
so you could place a drip pan under it.

Location: KENEFICK , TEXAS | Registered: December 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several of you have asked me to post some pics of my Alaska stove so here it is. These were taken just after I had finished it, the paint has since burned off the top half. as you can see I have dispensed with the rubber supply hoses and used copper pipe. The T connector allows me to start it up on kerosene and then switch over to biodiesel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

Image8120714_copy.jpg (47 Kb, 694 downloads)

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant seem to get it lit. I have kerosene burning in the pot, but cannot get a blue flame, just a yellow flame putting out alot of black smoke. also how long does it take to burn out when you shut off the fuel. it seemed like it took almost 30 min for that flame to go out after shutting off the fuel. If I turn it on high I can hear the popping and sizzling sound of kerosene going into burner.

Location: south west Iowa. | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
hey brad..sounds like to did it all correctly ,
but after the fire went out , it was time to open regulator and re-light..the first burn gets it hot enought to vaporize the fuel..the smoke was comming from what was burning on bottom of the pot..james

Location: KENEFICK , TEXAS | Registered: December 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Brad is allowing too much air into into the burner, Kerosene should burn orange/purple, biodesel purple/blue if viewed through a peephole, but as soon as I open the lid on top it turns yellow and sooty. I have attached a picture of the flame. You can see the ceramic fibre blanket covering the adapter plate. This is important as it restricts the air flow into the stove. I do feel that most of the heat is escaping up the flue in my stove but that is not the fault of the burner. I think a water coil or back boiler might make it more efficient. James, I downloaded all 15 pages of the manual, its very useful, for instance I didnt realize that removing the pilot plate was a good idea when burning heavy oils. Is there any more? It does seem easier to light once the bottom of the pot gets coated with black, and I still light with kerosene and then switch to biodiesel after half an hour. Biodiesel lights easily bit takes forever to get hot.

Image11120702_copy.jpg (23 Kb, 496 downloads)

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES..i just found a 1956 bulletin to the 1952 manual i have posted. as soon as i get it scanned i will post it..i referred an ebayer named abby**** , she has been a potential buyer for several months....if she comes to this site , try and help her out..she is in UK.

posted Hide Post
maybe that was my problem it was getting to much air. I just had it burning in an open top drum. I drilled a 1" hole in bottom of drum so the fuel line and regulator would be on the outside of drum, I was just experimenting before I got carried away on cutting up a drum. to see how it would work. maybe putting a fiber blanket or some metal so it wont get so much air would help. thank you for all your help. Brad.

posted Hide Post
imake, in your picture of the burner in operation it looks like you have the barrel lined with insulation. Is that what it is?

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once I installed the burner in the oildrum I made and installed an adapter plate about halfway up the side of the burner. One of these is clearly shown in the instruction sheet that comes with the burner. I made it from 22guage sheet metal. It is a large circle just slightly smaller than the inside of the barrel, with a circular hole to fit over the burner. it was a bit awkward to fit as it would not fit through the top opening. I folded it in two, put it in the barrel, unfolded it and then screwed it into place. Although the instructions dont mention this I also covered the top of the adapter plate with ceramic fibre. I figured you want air to enter the burner from below, rather than coming up the sides. Ordinary mineral wool insulation would probably be ok, I just happened to have some ceramic fibre available. It is also a good idea to make a peephole in the top of the drum, so that you can see in without removing the hotplate. I drilled a half inch hole and covered it with a teardrop shaped piece of sheet metal. The teardrop is screwed to the barrel but can be swivelled to reveal the peephole.

posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried waste motor oil in one of these if so what were the results like.

posted Hide Post
I just ordered 3. One for myself and two for a couple of friends. All I can say is WOW. I didn't expect a valve, hose, adapters and all for 26.00 bucks. Judging by the weight James didn't gouge us on shipping either. Better buy one why there available. What a great find. I just hope it works as well as it looks.

James I am in Texas. Thanks for offering a great product for a very fair price.

Location: Central Texas | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for applause..can i post those files on this site in a section somewhere, or do i have to do it as an attachment to a post??

posted Hide Post
Hi James, Im not the person to ask about the post but Im sure it would be ok to add it as an attachment.
Someone asked about motor oil. In my experience, oil control valves dont work well with really heavy oil such as veg oil or motor oil. There will be inevitable clogging up of the little built in filter and the higher viscosity will slow down the flow rate too much. I am trying a different approach. My set up will drip preheated oil into the pot burner from above just like the JTF waste oil burner. So to start I will use kerosene to light the burner to get it nice and hot then switch over to biodiesel just as before. The veg oil or motor oil reservoir will be heated by the stove and when it reaches say 70degreesC I will open a valve to let hot oil drip into the pot. I should be able to turn down the biodiesel almost completely. Al least thats what I hope will happen. I will report back after the holidays.

Mercedes 250D
Refleks 66MK in my home
Alaska Stove in my workshop

posted Hide Post
Just to make my last post a bit clearer I have attached a diagram of my proposed Alaska stove with wvo dripfeed

Imagealaskastove.jpg (42 Kb, 495 downloads)

posted Hide Post
thanks for the diagram..i am posting it on my info site with your other pic. all feel free to use this site to post photos..use any folder or create your own. i only use this site to post info. not to avertise.

posted Hide Post
duh!!!..i am bald not blonde...the site is
WWW.GROUPS.YAHOO.COM/GROUP/KENEFICKMOUNTAIN

posted Hide Post
so..... who ha sused this unit for WVO? even if you have to pre-heat it, does it work well????

Be the change you hope to find in this world.-Gandhi

Location: location, location... | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post