BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    military heaters onj ebay
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

military heaters onj ebay
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi guys, Ive been away over the holiday.
Tim, I like your dosing pump. We dont have that model of gear pump here but I have something similar. I particularly like your improvised flexible drive shaft. When I get time Ill try constructing something similar.
Espana, I was cleaning my Refleks stove and took the opportunity to measure the restrictor valve for biodiesel. The slot is 25thou or 0.62mm. Thats a lot bigger than the other two. Kerosene 6 thou, diesel 8 thou and biodiesel 25 thou. Viscosity will be proportional to those figures.
Coach George. The pot burner is double walled for insulation so it would be difficult to heat it externally. In any case these burners work best and burn cleanest when burned steadily for long periods.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well james bought a heater from u i think r u (devildawg)? saw the reference KENEFICK and hope so ... ran it for a few min .. liked it so much had to drag wife out and take pic ..im thinking a man cant live with just one of these proabally order another !!!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakebiodiesel:
...Coach George. The pot burner is double walled for insulation so it would be difficult to heat it externally. In any case these burners work best and burn cleanest when burned steadily for long periods.
someone reported (Tim I think) that a glow plug (older type) did ignite heated oil puddle or something like that. So maybe a glow plug or two would work instead of heating with propane. I still like propane idea better though cause I trying to do things with little to no electricity.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
40ml of synthetic turps. or paraffin (kerosene) in base of heater (COLD)with a simple match to ignite easily fires the burner, see previous note in this thread for full details on how to fire. The Harmony 2 heater, with a vapour pot burner I have just fitted to power my central heating / hot water has a glow coil fitted but is easier fired using small amount of turps. Have had to modify the blend a little to suit the burning requirements of this type of pot, (increased the HHO to 30%, but no addition of white spirits)The link below shows photos. of the burner firing and the amount of 'crud' taken out during cleaning.

http://photobucket.com/espana100_vegoilburner

Location: Spain | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, (especially you, James)
I just acquired 36 of these things, new in the box. Since they date from WWII, the boxes look pretty bad. But the treated paper they are wrapped in did a nice job of preserving them. I am going to post them on my web site soon. In the mean time PM me if you want one. I am going to play with one running on BioDiesel.

James, I don't want to step on your toes here, so I will offer them at the same price as you. Did you know there are other people selling these on Ebay for as much as 75 dollars? I didn't know what I was getting when I bought these things, but now I'm glad I got them. They're preety cool!. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Joe_M,

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Happy Christmas to one and all. When I get back from the holiday Ill be unveiling my central heating boiler which is powered by an alaska burner running on yellow grease. The boiler is finished and tested and will be installed as soon as I get back. It will take me a few days to sort out the flue and the plumbing connections but I would hope to have it running by mid January. I have 600 litres of semi solid grease stored and ready.
The heat exchangeer within the boiler is a 60 litre stainless steel tank and I have incorporated several safety features including a cut out if the boiler gets too hot. The diagram below shows the basic layout.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looks nice imakebiodiesel. Think you could pm me a link or email me a larger picture of your diagram?

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot get the drawing up clearly enough on image shack
I might take a spin down over the Christmas might bring down my two son’s if I can get them away from the bar stool Cool ah well there money has to run out sometime Big Grin Big Grin
The set up looks very interesting hope it works out
The wood gasifying boiler I put in is making short work of the soap that drops out and the glycerol that I have pre-treated my waste oil with.
If I don’t get down have a happy Christmas and a’ interesting new year Razz

If it’s not broken don’t fix it if you do you’ll break it.

The black dog can be beaten

Location: peoples republic of cork ireland | Registered: November 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Happy Christmas to one and all. When I get back from the holiday Ill be unveiling my central heating boiler which is powered by an alaska burner running on yellow grease. The boiler is finished and tested and will be installed as soon as I get back. It will take me a few days to sort out the flue and the plumbing connections but I would hope to have it running by mid January. I have 600 litres of semi solid grease stored and ready.
The heat exchangeer within the boiler is a 60 litre stainless steel tank and I have incorporated several safety features including a cut out if the boiler gets too hot. The diagram below shows the basic layout.

Very cool.
I just stumbled across this forum, when looking for a mini-turk type design. I read most of the posts, and then took a drive to my local military surplus guys. They had cases of the Alaska type heater. all the units are new, marked 1987.

I took several home, for $28 each.

I've installed the unit inside a small Sundowner wood stove. It was alot of trouble to fit it inside. I had to drill 47 spot welds along the top, in order to remove the outer Air Plenum. Afterward I had to cut the Air Plenum along one side, in order to distort it's shape enough to fit it through the wood stove door. Once in the firebox, there is more then enough room for it to be moved about. So I designed some metal tabs, with thumb screws to secure the cut I had mad, and then I some small 10M bolts with wing nuts, and washers to tighten the whole assembly back together again.
It sits inside the firebox on two semi circular brick segments, each about 1/4 of a full circular brick. These conviniently place the burner, allowing max airflow to the bottom port.

I tapped a 1/4" hole into the side of the wood stove, and ran a short piece of copper tube from the fitting on the burner, tightly through the stove wall, to outside the firebox, up to a nice mounting bracket that secures the Fuel valve at the proper level to maintain operation.

A stainless steel 4 gallon carboy behind the stove set hold the test fuel. 50/40/10 Waste Red Diesel, Waste Soy Oil, and used motor oil, respectively.

The stove has a small fire box, exiting through a 6" flue, about 12' in length.

The top of the burner sits about 5 inches below the hot plate.

The firebox door seals very tight, and with both air valves shut, is devoid of fresh air.

I started the burner with 1/8 cup fuel, poured into the pot from the top. A leaf of ignited paper was all that it needed to start. I immediately opened the valve and set it to 9 for aprox 1 minute. Then I reduced the knob to 3 and closed the door tightly. Leaving only a small crack in one of the two air valves, I slowly opened that valve more, until the sound of the flame evened out into a nice solid burn.

I am pleased to say, 5 hours later, and about 4.5 liters down, @ 25 c degrees and cozy, I will not miss chopping firewood tomorrow morning! ;o I'm going to let it run overnight, and shut it down and inspect internals tomorrow. I expect little coke, as the exhaust outside is clear.

posted Hide Post
Holiday over so its back to work. The image shack picture is very small, can anyone suggest a free hosting site with bigger images. Meantime Ill email the drawing to whoever asks.
Vvventi,when cleaning out your burner remove only the crisp stuff that is easily broken up with a stick or screwdriver. Leave the layer of tar on the bottom. It liquifies as soon as the burner heats up. It makes the burner much easier to light.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Holiday over so its back to work. The image shack picture is very small, can anyone suggest a free hosting site with bigger images....
Image size posted, matters the size your orginal is. All hosting programs have their max; some will auto shrink while others just reject it and say try again its too big.

Make sure its a Jpg. Its pretty much the most compressed form so you can get a larger image in the same computer storage space.

butttttttt.... you best hosting site is HERE!!

use the add attachment feature on this board. Or is that too small too?

If its a drawing cut it into a top and bottom section or any other logical dividing point

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Really interested in the drawing, if you get a chance, can yo uemail it to me at vij@dsl.pipex.com

Thanks

Vijay

posted Hide Post
vvv, it would be great if you could post some pictures. I have a big old airtight wood stove that is not in use and would work great the same as you did yours.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Espana, can you tell us more about how the plumbing is arranged in your stove? How is the oil being fed? Does it have a carb type control or did you make your own? How is the boiler water heated? Is it via what looks like 2 copper pipes coming in from the top of the stove and what's inside? Do you have a circulator pump or is it via thermal siphon action? Sorry so many questions.

quote:
Originally posted by Espana1:
40ml of synthetic turps. or paraffin (kerosene) in base of heater (COLD)with a simple match to ignite easily fires the burner, see previous note in this thread for full details on how to fire. The Harmony 2 heater, with a vapour pot burner I have just fitted to power my central heating / hot water has a glow coil fitted but is easier fired using small amount of turps. Have had to modify the blend a little to suit the burning requirements of this type of pot, (increased the HHO to 30%, but no addition of white spirits)The link below shows photos. of the burner firing and the amount of 'crud' taken out during cleaning.

http://photobucket.com/espana100_vegoilburner

posted Hide Post
quote:
Holiday over so its back to work. The image shack picture is very small, can anyone suggest a free hosting site with bigger images.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/login.php

Kilkenny, Ireland.
Turk burner workshop heater using chip fat to heat bulk tank and feed house rads.

posted Hide Post
Espana are u still running vegetable oil in ur set up it was A blend of 75% WVO, 8% HHO diesel and 17%turps. are we now saying were up to 40% diesel 17% turpd and 43 % wvo? trying to keep track here have the alaskan tent heater trying to go to the blue flame .. but it has run on everything ive put in it not well but have run 70 % wmo with 20 % turps and 10% diesel smokes like hel..but burns transmission fluid equal results..but no pretty blue flame.tks u have been very informative!ever in tennessee let me know well share a bottle of wine home made tks..

posted Hide Post
Just logged on after the New Year and Three Kings celebration (6th of Jan.) which is a big celebration here in Spain. Headache now cleared! In reply to the questions raised I can answer some now and will take photographs to explain layout etc. These will be posted within the next 2/3 days along with a schematic drawing of the plumbing system used. To answer the question raised by canolafunola first :-
1)Plumbing arrangement to follow
2)Oil is fed via gravity from a 'day tank' to the Toby oil control valve mounted on the back of the stove. This valve is similar to the carb. fitted to the tent heater but has added safety features in relation to any overflow incidents. (photo to follow)
3)The boiler is an integral part of the stove and fits around the vapour pot. The pot its self is 10'' in diameter and is capable of producing 48,000 btu's/hour on full burn. Photo's to follw.
4) The 2 pipes rising from the stove are indeed the primary flow and return pipe's in cu. 28mm in dia. These rise 1 floor in height up to the sun roof where the hot water cylinder is mounted. A home made injection tee on the return from the cylinder ensure's that the central heating water, when called for, pulls the water through the cylinder without robbing the entire heat from the cylinder with the use of high and low temp. sensor's. The circuit is both fully pumped and thermo-syphon. I can select either the main part of the house (lounge, bathroom, 1 bedroom and my office) to be heated via thermo-syphon or if the entire house to be heated, a further 2 bedrooms, 1 more bathroom, kitchen and my wife's office, all fully pumped. This is mainly because of the complecations of the previous layout. All rooms are on one floor. Sketch to follow.
For the question raised by unclewilson, ---
1) My mix at the moment is a straight 40% HHO, 60% WVO. I mix 100lts at a time in 4-25 ltr. containers, the WVO is taken from a 1000ltr. stock tank. Price for HHO here in Spain at the moment is 68cents/ltr, its been as high as 98cents. Over the Christmas period I did try a blend of 40% biodiesel - 60%HHO with very poor results. (Quite an ammout of crud in the base of the tank) This was because of the bio-diesel seperating from the WVO in the day tank. HHO when blended with WVO keeps its 'homogeneousness' The ammount of crud taken from the base of the pot when cleaning is very small.
2) I note that you are having difficulty in obtaining a blue flame. It is most important that your burner is mounted in a container which will only allow air to be drawn through the holes in the pot itself. Any excess air will cause a yellow dirty flame. The chimney size is also important. On the tent heater it is 4''. There is a design ratio on these types of burner which take into consideration the partial vacuum created in the chimney under operating conditions (temperature)thus increasing the pull on the pot and the flame. Further details to follow. The chimney height is also critical.
Try the above, let the forum know your results, its to the benifit of all that we share our trials. As to the wine, very tempting, but I thought moonshine prevailed in Tennessee!

Location: Spain | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am confused as to what HHO is. When I google it I get hydrogen and that seems unlikely. I don't think that it means water, H2O, either.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Normally HHO is home heating oil on this forum

Location: Central WI | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks for the HHO info. My Efel runs on a B80 mix and diesel which is close to HHO. It has a nice strong blue flame at that mix.