BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    toyotomi om-22 clogged nozzle

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

toyotomi om-22 clogged nozzle
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,
i am new to the forum.
I am currently running B100 in a Toyotomi OM-22 vented heater. It works fine for a few days. Then I get carbon clogging the nozzle (not really a nozzle per se but a tube that drips fueal into the chamber. I have to clean the nozzle with a wire, and then it works well. It works even longer if I take out the flame rod and burn off any stuff on it with a flame. I think my problem may be two-fold.
I can see the flame in the pot, but I don;t think it is powerful enough to register for the flame rod, and I think that fuel may not be getting burned and accumulating in the bottom of the pot causing carbon build-up on the nozzle.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I am thinking maybe a wider nozzle or a longer flame rod.

Location: grand rapids | Registered: November 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well you going to think Im nuts but search in here for Pinapple. Not sure if you have one or not in your present heater. If not adding one might enhance your burn and reduce chance of your nozzle issue

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have you tried reducing the amount of fuel with a smaller nozzle, (and maybe increasing the pressure a bit)?

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do I go about increasing the pressure? This unit works with a gravity-fed nozzle. I would think that a smaller nozzle would clog. This is not a jet per se and the fuel is not atmized.

Location: grand rapids | Registered: November 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, thank you both for the replies. For some reason this forum is not showing up in my email. I will check more often.

posted Hide Post
One more thing. If I inject some methanol down into the pot I get a nice blue flame. I have mixed some in with my fuel (as Kero Klean) to see if this helps abate the soot and carbon build-up. I have not yet taken out the burn pot because there is an inordinate amount of sheet metal that needs to be removed (pretty much take apart the whole damn thing).
I think I may look into some sort of "pineapple." One of my friends is a copper worker. Maybe this would be a good material?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gonzotto:... I think I may look into some sort of "pineapple." One of my friends is a copper worker. Maybe this would be a good material?
Tread wisely. While Pinapple may help.... watch temps. Just wondering if it will bring higher heats to parts of the heater not intended to reach higher temps.

ideas on how to make a Pinapple are in this forum already. Certainly not a copper thing if I recall right.

But equally so.... if you believe you can, YOUR RIGHT as well.

Location: North Tx | Registered: November 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am not too comfortable with retro-fitting a brand new oil burner.