BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Would this pot burner be suitable for WVO without too much modification?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would this pot burner be suitable for WVO without too much modification?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I'm hoping to get some input as to if this heater will be suitable for burning wvo. I am considering to buy this simply for this purpose, as I can get one used at a good price.

It is a Dovre 500 MAP pot burner. Here are some specs on a similar model that also can burn wood: http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/...multifuel-stove.html

It's mostly used with kerosene (parafin?) or diesel. It does not use a wick.

Here are some photos of it:

Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you

Image99_1192284169.jpg (24 Kb, 6 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Sure a nice looking stove, and all cast iron. I did a bit of web searching trying to find details of the type of burner but found no info so can't really comment on the amount of changes that would be needed to burn used veg. Since it IS already a pot burner it should be able to burn used veg, just how clean would take actually making the updates and using it.

There are a couple extensive discussions on this forum that will give you all the info about the various mods that have been done to many different pot burner stoves. Read through the "military burners on Ebay" thread as well as my "3rd heater so far" discussion, These will give you more info on what others have done to burn used veg.

You will need to put together some type of seperate oil feed/control setup for the veg, it won't run through any feed system designed for thinner oils like kerosine or even diesel, even burning biodiesel in a gravity feed fuel control system usually needs to have changes made to work reliably.

You can TRY a gravity feed needle valve control setup for the veg but I can almost guarantee you won't be any more satisfied with it than the rest of us have been, some sort of motor driven metering pump system has been shown to be the most reliable and the least frustrating to operate, several types of these are described fully in the discussions referred to above.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Tim for your kind and detailed answer.

Have to admit that I was hoping to use it with only minor modifications, but it's nice to have it confirmed from somebody with experience that it needs more than that.

It is a very nice looking stove, but then I will probably look more at the discussions you referred to - an make some sort of insert for my wood stove since I already have two wood stoves. The stove on the pictures above are for sale at a good price (around $300) but I think I will make something wvo-specific to avoid problems.

By the way, the stove in the pictures are Norwegian produced and mostly sold in Norway, that's probably way there's not much info around. I don't think it has sold too well since it's fairly new on the market and kerosene heaters seems to be on the way out.