BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Supply line advice

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supply line advice
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone. I'm just getting starting making my own biodiesel and my main use will be heating my home and domestic hot water.

I'll get into more detail later about where the tank is and the challenges I'd be facing if I want to replace the current copper supply line.

What are your thoughts on the copper supply line and the biodiesel?

Location: York County, PA | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
The copper line will react with the biodiesel and cause it to oxidize faster.
Not really a problem for a furnace. The issue is more likely to be the inside of the line itself. As the bio reacts, it leaves behind a thick gooey substance that will coat the inside of the copper line. It might be cleanable but I've never tried.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
The guy who set up the greenhouse boiler used copper (after I told him not to) but then I was able to convince them that Viton hose might be a better idea. We now have a Viton fuel line feeding "The Beast" .
If you can't get Viton at the local auto supply try these guys.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:
The copper line will react with the biodiesel and cause it to oxidize faster.
Not really a problem for a furnace. The issue is more likely to be the inside of the line itself. As the bio reacts, it leaves behind a thick gooey substance that will coat the inside of the copper line. It might be cleanable but I've never tried.

Hey Paul, thanks for the reply. So its more a case of residue build up that eating through the lines? Makes sense. How think are we talking? Enough to clog the line?

Its a summer/winter set up so at least it always has flow daily through out the year. Not sure if that makes any difference for build up though.

quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
The guy who set up the greenhouse boiler used copper (after I told him not to) but then I was able to convince them that Viton hose might be a better idea. We now have a Viton fuel line feeding "The Beast" .
If you can't get Viton at the local auto supply try these guys.

Viton rocks, but its pricey. The issue I have is that its a long run...over 50 ft. I'm going to guess. My thoughts were to go with polyethylene (PEX) tubing. More economical and easy to get as well.

Location: York County, PA | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post