BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    Stoking the B100 Boiler

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stoking the B100 Boiler
 Login/Join

posted
After after having run flawlessly for months the boiler used to heat the farm store and greenhouse began acting up. It would start but then die out after several minutes and need to be reset and then that cycle would start over again.

Turns out the problem was with the igniter bar; it had become coated in a crusty soot, that, when wiped clean using only fingers did the trick. The boiler has fired up and stayed cycling reliably since. Just thought I'd share that in case anyone else was experiencing the same problem.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forget Luc, does that have a Beckett burner?

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yup, Beckett AFG.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
legal
What kind of pump are you using with that burner.I have been looking at putting a boiler outside in a small building and adding heat exchangers into my existing air to air system and burn b100 to heat the water. I found boilers but the manufactures all say talk to the burner people whan you say biodiesel. Then when I talk to the burner people they say talk to the pump people. Everyone of them say I am about the 1 millionth person to call and ask the same thing about b100. You would think they might catch on after a while and build a system for b100

Location: NC | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
You would think they might catch on after a while and build a system for b100

You'd think eh ? It's the same here, they've not a clue. Most of these guys are all affiliated with some Big Oil delivery system so there really isn't much incentive to cut off their potential for a client.

Ok, the pump. It's the one the boiler had when bought new.I know that doesn't help much but it's all I got for now. I figured that before recommending swapping it out for a Webster I'd let it go until it started leaking. No leaks so far :-)

The boiler has fired reliably all winter as if it were on pump fuel and well tuned. It's not broke so not much incentive to fix it either. It is set at 150PSI with a 1.0 nozzle, but it doesn't have to do hard duty, just keep a small greenhouse and shop (soon to include an office) warm enough not to freeze. Others have set it up at 140PSI with an 80degree nozzle cut to .85 and report reliable performance.

HTH

posted Hide Post
I've found that after @ 100 gal. of B100, I have to clean off the igniter, and brush clean the tube on my Becket AFG. (crusty cokey unburned fuel) It doesn't hurt to check the screen inside the fuel pump either.
I'm using @ 150 psi pump pressure, and a .0065 nozzle on a 105,000 BTU rated boiler. Next season, I'll increase nozzle size for more output.

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was having similar problems to what Legal reports. I tried everything to get the burner through a heating season. I found that just setting the air pressure at 150psi and moving to a 1.0 nozzle did not do the trick. What did work was to bench fire the burner and tune the air while watching the flame. There is a sweet spot where the flame is burning the cleanest. Reinstalled and everything has been hunky dory all season long.

I am running a Bechett AFG in a Central Boiler 7068 heating the house and two greenhouses.

I also have a Becket AF in a Rheem furnace heating my 2100 sg ft workshop. Both run on B100 reliably.

The smell of my exhaust makes me hungry!
www.rwtbiodiesel.com

Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: June 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good info, bdubet.
I should add that I've been burning soapy bio this past winter,(lazy ***) and going through a few 10 mic filters because of that. Additionally, I've noticed the soap all the way through to the nozzle, and I've been tweaking the flame/pressure on the boiler. Next year will be very different, but I did have a "blast" this past winter!

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yup, if you have a furnace or boiler that runs on oil you'll be very happy that it does just fine on B100.Many times more economical (not to mention ecological) than any other source and homebased at all.

posted Hide Post
I am finishing off 1300 sq feet upstairs and I have about 3500 sq feet down stairs on 2 different air to air systems a 4 ton down stairs and a 3.5 ton up. What size boiler would you recommend to heat both next winter. My plan is to just add a heat exchanger to the air to air systems and pump hot water through them. Sounds like I just need an off the shelf system and a little tweeking. I don't have an air compresser at the house is there a systen out there that doesn't need compressed air that will work. I tell you what would be the best would be to use my glycerin to do the job but with having to keep it liquid and all would be a pain. I though about building another burner like I have at the barn for heating my water for my processor but that is way to crude for having it at the house.
Barry

Imageglycerin_burner_closeup.jpg (11 Kb, 37 downloads)

Location: NC | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bcbio
-can you plumb hot water to the house from the out building? that way you have no fuel or fire in the house, makes a big differance on the fire insurance!!! Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Now that the cold weather is pretty much gone (I hope) the boiler isn't firing nearly at all. The positive is that it never failed even once throughout the entire winter, cycling reliably on B100.

Now, if we can only remember to check the soot build up before Fall ...

posted Hide Post
I am in the process of installing a Beckett AFG burner (Weil Mclain boiler) and I had to remove the cleancut pump to get the old fitting off. There was a bit of gunk in there and I also bought a new gasket for it. Not sure what size nozzle it has yet, still need to hook up the flue and electrical connections. I'm installing it in series with my existing gas powered boiler, perhaps I'll start another thread with photos for those interested.

posted Hide Post
With the really cold temps coming to an end soon (I hope), the boiler use has begun to slow down.

This year I ran an experiment; Beckett AFG burner, nozzle size 1.0 (yeah I know), and PSI set to 150.
This has been its setting from the onset. This year I figured I would try something, demethed and settled but not filtered. So, since December that is what the boiler has been getting and has shown no signs of indigestion yet.The fuel tank is about 12 feet away from the furnace so it is warm at all times.

I am curious to see what build up if any will be on the igniter once this heating season is done, although cycling has been 100% reliable so far.

posted Hide Post
Please post a pic of the end of the gun when you pull it out!
I bet it will look great, if you fully demethed it and settled it than the burner prefilter will be all you need.
I have been exclusively demething and settling for a few years now with no issues and no crap at the bottom of my fueling drum either. It goes from the settle tanks into my fuel drum through a 10 micron Goldenrod, from there it gets pumped through a 5 micron goldenrod directly into the fuel tanks. The shop furnace with a Riello burner gets the same treatment with no issues so far... Knock on wood!
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post