BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    My Oil Heater

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Oil Heater
 Login/Join

posted
Hey folks, I am new to this forum (first post actually), and new to biodiesel. I have collected 5 55gal HDPE drums for production and storage so far. I have to source the pumps and other things still to make a processor and so on.

The reason I am interested in producing is for my oil heater. I don't have a diesel car/truck, but I have been burning wood for the past two years since oil is through the roof. Now I am tired of splitting wood and all that jazz. I still may use it, but would like to go back to the oil furnace for the wifey and kids (always saying I'm cold in the winter).

So, I have an old Carrier heater/AC unit that is forced air. The house was built in 1956 and from what I can tell it has never been upgraded. It works and puts out lots of heat with the oil. What do I need to do to modify my system to burn bio? I opened the side panel last night and looked at the unit. It has a red cap on something with a 1.00 on it. I am assuming this is the nozzle sized? The unit is also rated at over 150K BTU and no more than 1.35gal per hour. I have an underground 550gal storage tank that I would love to pack with bio. This leads to another question. The tank is buried below the frost line and from what I remember about geology, the ground stays pretty consistently at 60F? How would this fair for biodiesel? I have heard of additives if needed for longer storage and cooler temps.

I am posting pics of the unit too. I am looking for any help and advice if someone is so inclined to do so. I have read quite a bit on here and from what I can tell, I should be able to do this with minimal mods and effort (other than sourcing oil and processing it).

Wherever you go, there you are..... But, where am I and how did I get here?

Imagephoto_1.JPG (34 Kb, 56 downloads)

Location: Southeast Pennsylvania | Registered: May 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I can't seem to attach or embed multiple photos, maybe I can, but don't know how. I am posting 3 more separately as replies....

Imagephoto_2.JPG (43 Kb, 36 downloads)

Location: Southeast Pennsylvania | Registered: May 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3rd photo....

Imagephoto_3.JPG (31 Kb, 27 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Numero 4....

Imagephoto_4.JPG (38 Kb, 27 downloads)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Christian:
Hey folks, I am new to this forum (first post actually), and new to biodiesel. I have collected 5 55gal HDPE drums for production and storage so far. I have to source the pumps and other things still to make a processor and so on.

The reason I am interested in producing is for my oil heater. I don't have a diesel car/truck, but I have been burning wood for the past two years since oil is through the roof. Now I am tired of splitting wood and all that jazz. I still may use it, but would like to go back to the oil furnace for the wifey and kids (always saying I'm cold in the winter).

So, I have an old Carrier heater/AC unit that is forced air. The house was built in 1956 and from what I can tell it has never been upgraded. It works and puts out lots of heat with the oil. What do I need to do to modify my system to burn bio? I opened the side panel last night and looked at the unit. It has a red cap on something with a 1.00 on it. I am assuming this is the nozzle sized? The unit is also rated at over 150K BTU and no more than 1.35gal per hour. I have an underground 550gal storage tank that I would love to pack with bio. This leads to another question. The tank is buried below the frost line and from what I remember about geology, the ground stays pretty consistently at 60F? How would this fair for biodiesel? I have heard of additives if needed for longer storage and cooler temps.

I am posting pics of the unit too. I am looking for any help and advice if someone is so inclined to do so. I have read quite a bit on here and from what I can tell, I should be able to do this with minimal mods and effort (other than sourcing oil and processing it).

Anyone?

posted Hide Post
We have been running a Beckett AFG boiler on B100 for the last 3 winters without issue. The psi needs to be adjusted up to about 140 and the nozzle sized down to .85w. The igniter needs to be cleaned off once a year. Not familiar with Carrier units.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
that's the same pump that's on my oil boiler, it works well with biodiesel, I don't remember the brand but there is a suntec replacement for it at 265.00 Cdn. you can also mix about 25% wvo into the biodiesel and it will still work BUT the nozzle will coke up and require cleaning more often (for me 3 times per winter) all I had to do was change the nozzle to a .75 and as LE said increase the oil pressure. You can remove the bleader screw and instal a short nipple and T, that will allow you to install a pressure gauge on one leg and reinstal the bleeder screw on the other. As for the undergound tank ? for sure you should check the temp inside the tank, then check the flowability of your biodiesel at that temp. Rather than using the flow point stff whch can be expensive you could mix the biodiesel with pump diesel or stove oil and check the cold fow properties to obtain the mix best suited for your set up. For me biodiesel works in an mix of 75% dino diesl and 25% biodiesel at -40C in my truck.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies fellas! I'll check the temps in the tank for sure. That's an easy thing to do.... As it relates to the CAD, should I still paint the tube silver or white to eliminate the shut downs? You guys do this?

posted Hide Post
I didn't paint the tube at all, to avoid shut downs adjust the combustion air so that there is a yellow/orange fliker. for that burner the vents will be almost completely closed. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
I didn't paint the tube at all, to avoid shut downs adjust the combustion air so that there is a yellow/orange fliker. for that burner the vents will be almost completely closed. Tom

Thanks Biotom..... You guys have been a great help! All I need to do now is get myself setup to produce biodiesel. I've got 55 gal drums sourced already so I am going to use those to make my reactor, wash/dry and settling tanks.

posted Hide Post
Just a quick note to mention we have a product: "MAXIMUM COMPRESSION"™ - Furnace which will allow your B100 manufactured to ASTM D6751 Standard to be used to fuel your furnace
without need for other additives or furnace modifications.

The furnace will operate more efficiently with a visible reduction in emissions.
Proper flow-rate is ensured. The fuel delivery system will be kept clean - no clogging.

It's all about making the fuel you use more compatible with the furnace's requirements.

Hope this is helpful to you.

PS: Base fuel made from oil that becomes solid at room temperature (e.g. lard) must NOT
be used. WVO, SVO and RO are the oils it is designed for.

Distributor of "MAXIMUM COMPRESSION"™ which allows you to use B20 year around.

Location: Among the Frozen Chosen, catering Globally. | Registered: December 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post