BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel For Heating    pics of bd heaters

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pics of bd heaters
 Login/Join

posted

Location: western ny | Registered: April 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33703049@N05/3139633238/in/photostream/

this ones a siegler in my buddies shop...second years running it....more pics to come

Location: western ny | Registered: April 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI!
Say are you running that heater on 100% biodiesel??
I'd love to know as I am heaing my house with an old 8870 N ( I think) but I'm using fuel oil. Wow does that stuff smell like stinky diesel. Not the heater, but I spilled some hooking the fuel line up, and I can't get rid of that awfull smell.
I'd love to run BD in it, instead of fuel oil. Does it work well, or did you have problems?

Location: Raymond, NE | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that heater is in my buddies shop and yes b100.we had to open (file)the metering stem in the carb to allow more fuel since bd is thicker.if you go to KeroseneHeaterandStoveCollector group on yahoo groups and join there is good info.go to photos and he has manuals.the one on ap control valve will show you how to take carb apart.

posted Hide Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33703049@N05/3150520193/in/photostream/

this ones in my house.it called tropic aire.looks like a 70's console tv.it doesnt have fan like sieglers,it just radiates so i put a plunem on it with some inline duct fans and blow air upstairs.same ap control valve

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
This is my EFEL, the carb is taken off and sitting on top.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey raften,running on bd??i have a franco belge continential still in crate.if you've seen the thread "military heaters on ebay",the newer heaters seen to be like that burner

posted Hide Post
Hey Willy, it runs on B100 but runs with a better burn on B80.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Oh, so that is the carburator. Mine has one that can be adjusted, according to the instructions. The problem is it's location. it is in the sheet metal housing, on one side of the heater, and there isn't enough room to get your hands, and tools in there to do anything. I tried because a person is supposed to take the metal fuel filter out of the back of the carb, and clean it off once a year. I couldn't get a screw driver on it to save my life.
How does that Efel thing run? Is it a newer heater?

Rxwoman.

Location: Raymond, NE | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rx, the Efel is a great stove, nothing special about it but it heats well and is pretty much trouble free. It isn't newer but the design has not changed much, the newer ones have electric ignition and I think a stainless pot.

Have you tried the Yahoo groups site, those guys know a lot about Sieglers and have manuals posted. I am not sure a Sigler can be adjusted for biodiesel but I really don't know. All carbs are somewhat adjustable but carbs are simple devices and there is not much that can be changed with them. I'll post a addy for the Yahoo place once I find it and I'll bet you can get good answers.

Willy, got a pic of the stove in the crate.

posted Hide Post
raften,heater is buried but its this one
http://www.csnfireplaces.com/Napoleon-174.07.53-NPN1529.html

rx,i went to the yahoo group and saw a pic of your heater.its one of the only sieglers where the carbs inside the body.somehow there is a way to remove it.if you would like i could post pics of taking apart and filing meter stem.......willy

posted Hide Post
Any idea what kind of fuel usage on this type of stove?
How is the fuel injected into the fire pot?

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fab Man, did you mean how much fuel used per hour or what type of fuel?

This type of heater uses a double wall pot burner and the fuel is gravity flow. When they are in operation the top rim of the pot has 30 or 40 small jets of fuel that shoot toward the center and look great when the lights are out. The quality of the fire depends on the viscosity of the fuel and the carburators ability to meter it. They are just about as simple as it gets but put out a nice heat and other than keeping the tank filled they are trouble free. Trouble free that is once you learn how they operate and how to start them without a lot of soot. I run some oil into the bottom, put in a shot glass of methanol, throw in a match and shut the door quickly to avoid soot. Too much air will cause excessive soot.

Really nice looking stove Willy, going to put it in use soon? I have had to do some creative things to camoflage my pipe and stove tank because where I live no one knows anything about oil stoves and are suspecious of them. I made the mistake of telling my neighbor about it and now he says he can smell it when I haven't been running it. I keep trying to point that out and tell him he smells the bay when the wind is right. I think I finely did convince him my stove does not smell.

posted Hide Post
I was wondering how much fuel per hour, but I went to a web site that says depending on stove size anywhere from .171 to .330 gallons per hour, so if you are on bio that is around a buck a gallon it could be from 3 to 7 bux a day, interesting, I have never really paid much attention to this kind of stove.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But then again if you use reclaimed methanol you would cut that by as much as half.