BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    raw glycerin msds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

raw glycerin msds
 Login/Join

2013 Sponsor
posted
I'm working on an MSDS sheet for raw glycerin and I'm looking for some help to finish it off. Does anyone have or can get the flashpoint of raw and demethed glycerin. Actual numbers not guesses please.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickDaTech:
I'm working on an MSDS sheet for raw glycerin and I'm looking for some help to finish it off. Does anyone have or can get the flashpoint of raw and demethed glycerin. Actual numbers not guesses please.

Rick

I do have some flashpoint information somewhere for a couple of glycerin samples we had tested but I will have to have a dig around in the archives at the office next week and see if I can find them because we basically binned the information as being unreliable due to the inconsistencies in the results. The problem is it is all going to depend upon exactly what feedstock quality, which process, how good the phase separation and then how complete demething is done amongst other things.

For example:
How many people get the phase separation exactly right, if they drop out out an extra couple of litres of biodiesel with their glycerin when separating it is going to lower the flash point compared to 100% glycerin.

How many people actually "demeth" completely i.e. remove 100% of the available methanol, if they don't then the flash point will be lower.

What about the amount of water, catalyst, soap, mono glycerides, di glycerides, mong etc. it all has an effect on the "raw glycerin" sample results.

IMO an MSDS for "raw glycerin" is likely to be an almost impossible task for you and in actual fact would only be suitable for the fluid sample you send for test to get the results. Otherwise you are going to have to include such a large range for all parameters that it could cover a multitude of products not only "raw glycerin" as to make its usefulness limited.

The last thing you want to do is take the liability and write an MSDS that someone relies on for toxicology, fire fighting, exposure or other health effects.

Location: East Yorkshire | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Fuzznag,

I see your point about the variations. MSDS are allowed to offer a range. I've seen one where the active ingredient was a range of 30% to 90% as in one msds covered multiple variations of a single product. Have you ever looked closely at the MSDS for 0.01M NaOH? other than the composition section it looks identical to 50% NaOH solution. 0.01M NaOH is so weak as to not be hazardous at all.

I was thinking of using the msds for premix as the basis for it. As to liability, It would have a clear disclaimer total lack of "manufactures information" or contact information.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was talking to a University of Tenn professor and some of his students about this very thing thursday. They are workng on uses for glycerol before it is cleaned up to tech grade glycerine, they are doing some interesting work.

They collect glycerol samples from several different bio facilities, and as Fuzznu has said samples vary greatly from different facilities. He did say that UVO facilities have the crudest glycerol and has the most "Trace" contaminates, normally.

I dont have the results from my sample here, but I will have to say there was alot less "glycerine" in the glycerol that I would have thought. Seems like methanol content was 6%, but I can verify later.

Sorry if I was slightly off topic.

posted Hide Post
Rick, unless you have gotten these numbers already I can get a closed cup flash test done at the local college here. Let me know,

posted Hide Post
Without intentionally whizzing in the Corn Flakes (but doing it anyways), it is impossible to draw up an MSDS that encompasses ALL biodiesel glycerol. You can however put one together that covers YOUR glycerol, the one you have complete control over, but that is about as far as that is going to go, due to the vast amount of variables at play.

Someone actually did put one together and IIRC Graydon posted it a while back, and I basically answered the same thing then too. Great, if you can draw up an MSDS for a customer that wants to buy up all your glyc that has been produced from one single large batch (the params will or can differ form batch to batch), but from there to making any sort of statement to the effect that this MSDS is universal in scope just isn't happening.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would have tried to do my glycerine flash test as generic as possible for that reason. 20% methanol for rxn. Use that glycerine for methylated stuff. Then boil the guts out of the same sample and use that as the de-methed

posted Hide Post
An MSDS sheet is not required to list exact figures. Based on that fact I don't think it would be all that difficult to make a generic one, unless I am missing something? (very possible!)
http://www.ehso.com/msdscreate.php
quote:
The MSDS does not have to list the amount that the hazardous chemical occurs in the product. Specifically.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/legisl/msdss.html

quote:
What is a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)?

A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is a document that contains information on the potential hazards (health, fire, reactivity and environmental) and how to work safely with the chemical product. It is an essential starting point for the development of a complete health and safety program. It also contains information on the use, storage, handling and emergency procedures all related to the hazards of the material. The MSDS contains much more information about the material than the label. MSDSs are prepared by the supplier or manufacturer of the material. It is intended to tell what the hazards of the product are, how to use the product safely, what to expect if the recommendations are not followed, what to do if accidents occur, how to recognize symptoms of overexposure, and what to do if such incidents occur.

Good luck!
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about it Reece. I'll make a best guess. It will be close enough.