Sorry, Just looked back over some lab tests I had done on my glycerin and it was only at about 14% methanol. I have made it a practice to dubble every thing that comes to safety so at 28% methanol there is a considerable amount of methanol.
Also, I think that consuming alcohol only slows down the digestion of methanol. I dont think that it will make any diffrence on inhalation of vapors.
In reviewing my notes from a Web-seminar with an engineer from one of the largest manufactures of methanol I realized I goofed on some figures.
Max exposure is 200ppm
but won't smell it before 2,000ppm, not 600ppm,
methanol doesn't build-up in the body, it is not retained, but the damage it causes does build-up.
Of all the safety measures you should do, the most important and most effective is to remove ALL potential sources of ignition from possible contact with the methanol and its fumes.
Goodluck and be safe.
P.S. Drinking regular booze can help any exposure, even just inhalation. They give breath analysis tests for drunk-driving.
Drinking beer, or any other alcoholic beverage WILL help to alleviate symptoms of methanol poisoning, wether it be dizzines or full on hospitalization. In fact, at a hospital, they will put you on an ethanol drip if methanol poisoning is diagnosed.
Methanol, in and of itself, won't hurt your body. It's the metabolizing of methanol, done by your liver, that turns it into formaldahyde that causes damage to your body. Ethanol and Methanol use the same liver receptors to be metabolized. By flooding (or simply having more ethanol than methanol) in your system, your liver is more likely to metabolize ethanol instead of methanol. This gives your body more time to excrete the methanol before it can be metabolized
I read this, and said to myself "Oh my god, no."
I have NO personal experience with this, but I have always been told that breathing air from an aircompressor as a fresh air source can kill you. A minute quantity of the crankcase oil in the compressor becomes aerosolized, and is present in the compressed air supply (along with any other gunk in the tank). Inhaling this, I have been told, can lead to a particularly nasty form of pneumonia. The compressor oil is non-bidegradable, and VERY bad for your lungs.
ya, you should not suck air off of a standard compressor.
not that dive compressors are much different, but, they are certified and the outgoing air is run through various filters including coalescing filters that are designed to remove all the oil from the air.
Greetings all fellow biodieselers. I have been reading these forums for years and finally registered today and need to respond. I have been poisoned before by welding galvanized steel without proper air supply, or proper ventilation, thinking a dual filter respirator with face shield was suffecient...NOT. Because of this experience I carried over my new safety procedure to my bio processor. We now use a forced air system at work and while working with the methanol. I am over 50 and intend to live a lot longer and don't take as many risks now as I did when I was younger!
For methanol protection, I purchased a shallow water air compressor and air supply system from Keene Engineering, ran the inlet through a water bath in a 5 gallon bucket and installed the compressor well outside, to reduce the risk of any contaminants. It may seem to be overkill, but my health is more important to me and people that are working with me. I don't use the regulator that comes with the system, just a simple mask with air constantly flowing. No odors, no burning eyes.
Here is a link to the systems available from them:
I am sure there are more compressors/air systems on the market, but as I used a gold dredge for years and still own one (along with an active claim or 2), I am experienced with these and can recommend them to others. I also have attic ventilators over the processing area to keep plenty of airflow through the processing area.
Welcome into the forums.
I always wanted to do that, and got some of the equipment together, but couldn't afford a KEENE.
I did do some diving for clams in the Mississippi River and some inspection and repair work under Towboats, and some light salvage work.
All with a tether and hookah rig supplied with a twin-cylinder rubber diaphram compressor. No oil in the air and my own activated charcol filters.
Make sure you have airflow across the floor too, even go with an explosion proof exhaust fan at floor level, because methanol fumes are heavier than air and can puddle.
Dredging is hard work and expensive to get started, but all it takes is one pocket to recover all money spent, lol Did a 22oz pocket the first month I was mining.
I totally agree with the airflow at the bottom, all I have installed is a series of vents at floor level along the back of the processor and keep the system closed. Have toyed with the idea of vents along the opposite wall and venting outside behind the processor. My processing room is 22 feet across and the building is 120 feet long, but divided into 3 sections for office, fabricating new equipment, and the processor section.
Methanol is stored in an enclosed steel shed outside with its own fire suppression system, and is plumbed into the processing area.
I use the 5% prewash system and decant methonal through a condensor and recycle it to the next batch. This way I can keep fumes to a minimum and keep the fire dept and cal/epa happy. Also keeps cal/osha happy, as I have 1 employee processing for me. Minimum exposure, minimum risk.
Sounds like you have it well covered.
Many should follow your example.
bring this back from the dead.
FerralOil, I would like to know more about your methanol capturing setup. A picture would be most helpful. I was looking into GL's design as my basis for a processor. This thread brings up very good points about methanol/methanol vapors.
|Powered by Social Strata||Page 1 2 3|