BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    element is starting to make a crackling sound
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

element is starting to make a crackling sound
 Login/Join

posted
I changed the element in my reactor tank after the old one was starting to make a crackling noise went it was turned on.(in wvo, of course) It had a layer of black crud on it. The new one was quite at first but after 2 days its also starting to get noisy, could it cause a fire?

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll have to consider using an in line element set up.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
heatbeater,
Fire becomes much more of a threat when the element is not immersed in oil. Most folks here will probably advise against heating directly in any tank that will contain methanol, instead heating in a seperate tank. As a compromise you might consider an in-line heater. Make sure it is below the level of the tank so it will always contain liquid. (I also installed a flow switch in my system so it will not heat unless oil is actually flowing past the element.) You will need an "NPS" T-fitting if you want to get a good fit on a screw-in type heating element. They will not snug up in the standard "NPT" pipe fittings. I invested in a 1" NPS pipe tap and will be glad to machine a fitting for you. PM me if you are interested.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the same 3kw immersion heater in my tank for nearly four years. It occasionally gets covered in black burnt crud if the oil has a lot of protein in it. In fact, I twice had smoke emerging from the top of the oil due to the crud 'burning' on the element! When the tank is emptied its important to scrape off the burnt crud.

I've never had the element making any strange noises - are you sure its not dampness/water in the oil you hear? Anyway, if the element works I wouldnt change it.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing with an in-line element is the pump always has to circulate . It would be nice if I could use a hot water loop to heat my wvo ,but the budget is too tight right now for such a luxury.

posted Hide Post
are you using double loop elements? the single ones don't last as long..

also you might look into the element that will survive a dry firing..

then next set of element for me are from a double oven unit..I just need to figure out how to seal the wire connections.

fyi..inline double loop element last a long time..I'm still on my first double loop inline..4+yrs later..and several pumps later.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post