BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS





Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Methanol and Prop 65
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Methanol and Prop 65
 Login/Join
 
Member
posted
I am not sure that this is important to anyone outside of California, or to home brewers other than for informational purposes, but I am working on my company's hazardous materials program and as of Friday, 3/16/2012, California has listed Methanol on its prop 65 list, the infamous "known by the state of California to cause cancer...". The hazard listed is "developmental". If you are interested, the link is here.

This maybe important for anyone who sells supplies (ie methanol) to anyone in California, as I believe the package needs to be labeled "known by the state...". I believe you have one calender year to get labeling compliant.
 
Registered: September 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If you ask me, prop 65 is a joke. Apparently, not only is sawdust on the list, but so is wood. It's way too damn inclusive to the point of worthlessness. I'm pretty sure air and pure water will soon be on the list, if not already. I haven't looked, but who is doing the evaluation of causes cancer? Probably somebody on the state payroll, who has to find x# per year of things that "cause" cancer. Is living on the list?

Please note, not a rant at you - just the stupid BROKE state gov. I saw a tidbit on tv the other day, where according to some study that Ca had on of the top 5 state rankings of integrity of elected officials - whatever that means.
 
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It's hugely amusing that Californicatia, with some of the highest levels of urban air pollution in the country, can't seem to get it's act together.



 
Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr berberly,
I went to the website you linked to and it says "Effective March 16, 2012, the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) is adding methanol (CAS No. 67-56-1) to the list of chemicals known to the State to cause reproductive toxicity for purposes of Proposition 65.1"
I can find no mention of causing cancer.

quote:
Originally posted by beberly37:
I am not sure that this is important to anyone outside of California, or to home brewers other than for informational purposes, but I am working on my company's hazardous materials program and as of Friday, 3/16/2012, California has listed Methanol on its prop 65 list, the infamous "known by the state of California to cause cancer...". The hazard listed is "developmental". If you are interested, the link is here.



Dear Mr Galt,
I am surprised that you did not did not catch the obvious mistake in Mr beberly"s post. It almost makes me think that you responded without even checking the information. Kind of a knee-jerk reaction.
quote:
Originally posted by john galt,
It's hugely amusing that Californicatia, with some of the highest levels of urban air pollution in the country, can't seem to get it's act together.
 
Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin J:
Dear Mr berberly,
I went to the website you linked to and it says "Effective March 16, 2012, the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) is adding methanol (CAS No. 67-56-1) to the list of chemicals known to the State to cause reproductive toxicity for purposes of Proposition 65.1"
I can find no mention of causing cancer.

quote:
Originally posted by beberly37:
I am not sure that this is important to anyone outside of California, or to home brewers other than for informational purposes, but I am working on my company's hazardous materials program and as of Friday, 3/16/2012, California has listed Methanol on its prop 65 list, the infamous "known by the state of California to cause cancer...". The hazard listed is "developmental". If you are interested, the link is here.



Dear Mr Galt,
I am surprised that you did not did not catch the obvious mistake in Mr beberly"s post. It almost makes me think that you responded without even checking the information. Kind of a knee-jerk reaction.
quote:
Originally posted by john galt,
It's hugely amusing that Californicatia, with some of the highest levels of urban air pollution in the country, can't seem to get it's act together.


ummmmmm??? Not sure how to respond to this post. The level of combativeness on this forum sometimes astounds me. I guess I need to finish the "..." to get the approval of the venerable Martin J.

...birth defects or other reproductive harm.

"Follow this link to download the current Proposition 65 list that includes Methanol" The first sentence on the website on which you bothered to "[check] the information".

If you had read the PDF, which is titled "CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE TO CAUSE CANCER OR REPRODUCTIVE TOXICITY", your concerns would have been addressed.
 
Registered: September 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Methanol and Prop 65

© Maui Green Energy 2000 - 2014