BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Safety video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety video
 Login/Join

posted
Here is a decent video someone sent me by Dr. Jon Van Gerpen for those interested;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKUUhYWlbo
And here is another great document on best practices;
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/agrs103.pdf
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about a fire from KOH and methanol mixed?

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatbeater:
What about a fire from KOH and methanol mixed?

If ignition sources are not present, it would have to 851 degF to ignite. I personally don't think it's possible to get it that hot just by mixing.

However, the mild heat from mixing does promote evaporation and pressurizes the mixing container. The increased evaporation and positive pressure increases the size of the danger zone susceptible to stray sparks. So it would be really dangerous to mix methanol and KOH with a drill and paint stirrer since the heated and pressurized atmosphere inside the mixer would force flammable levels of methanol vapors past almost any seal.

Industry best practice when dealing with flammable atmospheres, is to eliminate spark sources in an predefined area around the source of the flammable gasses. The size of the area is determined by the size of the source and by the ventilation (or lack thereof) of the area. In well ventillated areas, with really minor flammable gas sources, the size could be as small a three foot radius around the source. In areas with poor ventilation and substantial gas sources, the area could have a radius of several hundred feet, in all directions. Please understand that a substantial leak is relatively small when methanol is considered due to it's low LEL.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a spark from static electricity is enough to ignite methanol vapors. Where I process my bio I need to get a large fan to keep the air moving and avoid any build up of vapors.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post