Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Death by Methanol

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/853106871/m/6187013143

August 30, 2011, 11:01 AM
Ryan P.
Death by Methanol
I like it! That's the ultimate in KISS safety devices!
August 30, 2011, 05:27 PM
copper12
Déice keeping it simple almost always works better than something more complecated
simple idea that works Cool

If it’s not broken don’t fix it if you do you’ll break it.

The black dog can be beaten
August 30, 2011, 06:09 PM
RickDaTech
I'm wondering if a heavy duty aquarium pump would be able to do the job. With it there would be no need for relief valves because they can't build anywhere near enough pressure to pop a drum.

Would it be too slow?

Rick

www.Make-Biodiesel.org

August 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
Ryan P.
I'm going to implement that safety valve on my soap dispensing tank. Its an old home heating oil tank, and I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to need slight air pressure rather than relying on a pump to get the soap back out. I would think those tanks wold handle about the same limit as a 55gal drum (2psi).
August 31, 2011, 04:45 AM
imakebiodiesel
A heavy duty aquarium pump might work if it is capable of pumping to a depth of 4 feet then it will produce sufficient pressure, it may however be very slow.
When setting up the cork to the correct pressure a smear of vaseline will make it pop at a lower pressure and a wrap of ptfe tape will increase the tightness and pop at a higher pressure.
The end of a cork is 0.6 square inches so to make it pop at the correct pressure "2 psi" it should take an effort of 3.3 pounds to pull it out of the fitting. If you were so inclined you could set this up using a simple spring balance of the type used by fishermen or Ryanair passengers.
September 04, 2011, 04:59 PM
dkenny
um..
first I don't like the title..sorry
I been using methanol for quite some time..check the tag..

2nd..there are much easier ways to setup this idea..
i'm not sure just where to start..
well..
lets look at the pressure side..
120v or 12vd DC..or neither..what about a hand bicycle pump?? hum?? no sparks possible from a hand pump..
I'm pretty sure static isn't a problem with methanol. the energy for ignition doesn't seem to be enough..

still want to use a elerctic air pump..get a pressure regulator for under 5 PSI?
yes they exist

anyway..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile
September 05, 2011, 07:06 AM
imakebiodiesel
A bicycle pump works perfectly well, I have used it myself many times. It takes about 30 strokes to pressurize a half full drum and then the methanol flows nice and fast. The bicycle pump method certainly eliminates the danger of sparks.
Producer seems to think that any pressure over 3 psi could possibly burst a steel drum and Ive looked for low pressure adjustable regulators locally, they are not easy to find here. Once I had my bottle cork release valve set up I tested it 20 times over 2 days. It always popped at 2 psi.