With a new biodiesel season starting, now is a good time for a biodiesel safety refresher.
I have three basic rules of biodiesel.
1) Do not process biodiesel in your home. You are making fuel and using toxic chemicals to do it. The methanol vapors will get out and seep into your home and potentially poison your family. The fuel could catch fire and burn down your home, or shop. There are lots of examples of this happening, and in a very few of them the insurance actually paid for repairs.
2. Do not use drill mounted paint stirrers to mix biodiesel. Drills make lots of sparks and can ignite methanol vapors. If you are holding the drill, your hands are at the center of the resulting fireball.
3. Use timers on electrical equipment. If you are called away unexpectedly, a timer should limit how long heating elements stay on.
If I had to recommend ONE biodiesel safety article it would be this one: Biodiesel Safety Tips
1a) an attached garage IS 'in your home'.
|Powered by Social Strata|