BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Shop burnt but no explosion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop burnt but no explosion
 Login/Join

posted
I had a arson fire last week in my 20 x 30 2 story wood garage. I was so blessed it turned out O.K. The insurance totaled out the shop and I got $31,000, I cannot believe that there was not a explosion, There was 1/2 of a 55 gal barrels of Meth. down stairs and 4 55 Gal barrels setting right next to the shop (covered up with a tarp) on the end where the fire was lite. I was so lucky that it was spotted and the local fire dept got it put out, It was 3:30 a.m. and we were out of town. All of my equipment was O.K. the fire went up the wall and stayed upstairs, Only water damage below. We are in a small town and the fire dept was aware of what might have been in the building, They just didn't know how much. The man upstairs was watching over all of us that night. What a blessing. Guys keep your local fire dept. informed. I never dreamed that this would ever happen to me.

Location: memphis tn. | Registered: May 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt there would be much of an explosion even if a barrel did rupture.
What you see on the movies with barrels shooting skyward with a trail of flame is special effects, not reality.

The thin wall of a drum is not going to hold enough pressure to cause an explosion that is going to level a building or something nor project shrapnel that would have any significant energy against a structure.
Best you would probably manage is to pop some windows and escalate the fire momentarily while the meth flashed off.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a arson fire last week in my 20 x 30 2 story wood garage. I was so blessed it turned out O.K. The insurance totaled out the shop and I got $31,000,

Good to hear it turned out well all things considered. I hope they catch the perps.

Did the subject of biodiesel come up when the insurance adjuster was doing the post-fire inspection?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt there would be much of an explosion even if a barrel did rupture.

I would not be too complacent.
This video shows what a 45 gallon drum explosion of 40 gal of gasoline or methanol would be like.
This one is 50 litres of Jet Fuel(kerosine) in a 55 gallon drum.

I could not get the video feature to work

posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not be too complacent.

Smart folks don't get complacent.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did the subject of biodiesel come up when the insurance adjuster was doing the post-fire inspection?

It would have been hard for the subject not to have come up. I have a 200 Gal. processor, A 200 Gal. gyl. seperation tank, A 200 Gal. wash tank and 2 450 Gal. oil holding tanks inside a 20 X 30 garage plus my 30 Gal.Meth mixing tank. Just ask a few questions about it. Thought it was neat. They would have covered any damage to the equipment. The fire marshal ask a few more questions but was O.K. with it. It helped that the local fire Dept. knew what was there before they got there. He was a little upset that my son and brother had removed the 4 full barrells from out side to another location the next day. They wanted to see if they had any prints on them.

Location: memphis tn. | Registered: May 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

Fergus;
First thing to do is to open the film strip icon (second from the right at the top) and close the gaps. Next is to NOT copy the URL in the adress bar but the "embed" code below the video (click on "embed and copy the code)

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post