BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Biodiesel Processing - What has gone wrong? Time to bare your souls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel Processing - What has gone wrong? Time to bare your souls
 Login/Join

posted
In the theme of the "Biodiesel & Your Vehicle - What has gone wrong? Time to bare your souls" thread:

The Rulez:
1) Personal Experience only. No hearsay. No news reports (unless you were the feature!).
2) No judging. Stupid happens. Tired happens. Complacent happens.

So...

What happened:

Why do you think it happened:

What was the damage:

What have you changed to prevented it from happening again:

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And, of course, I am going to start.

quote:
What happened:

A wash tank heating element was energized when it should not have been, cooking a bucket full of skimmed soap and making A LOT of smoke.

quote:

I meant to plug in the black cord of the processor pump, and instead plugged in the black cord of the tank heater. While poking at the processor pump trying to figure out why it wasn't running, I smelled the burning soap in the bucket behind me.

quote:
What was the damage:

Just smoke. As far as I know, the heater still works. Nothing melted, as it was a covered heater.

quote:

The cords are all color coded now. Green electrical tape at the pump and green electrical tape at the plug makes correct cord ID at a glance possible.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I have one more.

quote:
What happened:

WVO was shot at high velocity all over my rear truck window though my vacuum pump while collecting.

quote:

The tank hit full capacity and the WVO proceeded through the vacuum line and to the pump faster than I could stop the pump.

quote:
What was the damage:

Bent flapper valves and sticky WVO inside the pump cylinders. Disassembly, cleaning, and careful pliers work fixed it all up again.
Sticky WVO all over the cab and toolbox. Rags and a run through the carwash cleaned it off.

quote:

Added a .5 gallon fluid trap ahead of the pump. I've never had more than 1/8 gal of WVO enter the trap before I was able to shut the pump down or close the suction valve on the collection hose.

posted Hide Post
PRyan

-great idea for a thread, I'm sure it won't be long before I can contribute Big Grin Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The worst I've had so far have been 35 gallon biodiesel spills. The whole batch on the floor. Sometimes I'd get in a rush and skip checking for leaks. So far, they have all dumped into secondary containment catchments.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terrific topic! On the grease side, there's a similar thread:

Oil Handling Horror Stories

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post