Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
can static be a problem using a plastic diaphram pump?

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/853106871/m/3177067153

March 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
Charles Dean
can static be a problem using a plastic diaphram pump?
I was planning to use an IRO air diaphram pump to mix methanol and lye inside a 22 gallon steel tank. The tank will be grounded to an outside ground rod but I am not sure if there could be a static problem with the plastic pump that will be attached to the steel base the tank is on. could this be a problem? Would I need to replace the plastic for a metal pump?
thanks...Dean
March 05, 2012, 11:56 AM
BWilder
We use plastic diaphram pumps for methoxide and acid transfer without issues. Plastic pumps have grounding wires connecting inlet and outlet though. Also if you use PVC piping grounding wire can be run along it connecting each end for extra safety. Our only plastic tank also has a grounding wire attached to it grounding the inside liquid as well. Overkill maybe but not hard to do.
March 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
Charles Dean
glad to hear that is working for you and that is probably what I will do also. the inlet and outlet lines will be metal. the reason I am concerend is that I was getting a strong arc across a plastic water filter base that was inline with a small gear pump used to transfer oil out of the tote. thinking it was a bad motor causing the arc it was changed. still got the arc untill I replaced the pulley and belt drive with an inline coupling.
March 05, 2012, 10:04 PM
fuelfarmer
A plastic pump has work so far with no static problems. Dumping lye out of a plastic bag into the mixing tank does make me a little uneasy.

On our fueling station I did wrap the plastic water filter housings and the hose back to the pump with wire because of big time static snapping and popping.