BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    let the flaming... err.. flames begin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

let the flaming... err.. flames begin
 Login/Join

posted
Wow, this just cant be safe? At least the music is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...KiCs&feature=related

posted Hide Post
I think, under the right conditions, that could work safely.

You would just have to be:
1) Working outdoors with a good breeze.
2) In a place where the temperature is always hot when you are brewing.
3) With WVO that doesn't titrate very high since you are counting on all the soap you make and the excess methanol to bond to a limited amount of magnesol.
4) You run it in a vehicle you can stand to lose, in case you are wrong and you end up with a whole bunch of dropped out soap in your tank...and then in your IP...and then in your injectors.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes me hungry. Is Micorn kinda like kettle corn? Nice Job Sparky.

05 Dmax Taking a break from the daily grind.

81 Isuzu Pup Mine, B100 and for sale.

85 Isuzu Pup Wife's, B100 and soon to have winter B100 commuter tank.

Location: Less than a year behind myself and gaining ground. | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think, under the right conditions, that could work safely.

Eek
Ok I'm in but you hold the drill! Wink

Seriously though, I hope nobody gets duped into purchasing that "death trap"!
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fine piece of machinery to me Eek
I think HooknLine has first hand experience with that mixer. Lets see if He'll hold the drill.
I'm willing to stand outside and look for the EPA agents.
Lets see all we need is someone with a thermometer to hover over the tank and someone that can do a Tie..Tye..Titration.
We're looking for applicants?

Make megabucks working from home.
No experience necessary.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It is ok...
As long as you don't make any mistakes.

No phone calls while you're brewing.
Don't get too immersed in your book.
Ignore calls to dinner.
Etc.
Don't forget to mix one last time before checking the thermometer, and never exceed 148 when mixing in the methanol.
I assume he was wearing some kind of eye protection when working with the methoxide & doing all the mixing after adding the methoxide. Is that assuming too much?
And, of course, he has an eye wash station nearby.
And several fire extinguishers handy.
And, the local fire department on speed dial.
And, never forgets to unplug before mixing in the methoxide.

And, of course, never brew in the winter with the doors closed.

I didn't quite see the monitoring setup for the volatile organics... perhaps that was edited out of the film so it wouldn't be too long.

Anyway, it is perfectly safe as long as one pays attention to what one is doing. And, there are no distractions or equipment malfunctions. AND one puts on a little more PPE than would be given by a cooking apron, especially eye protection!!!

And, make the stickied post on Methanol fumes be required reading (while he is sitting in the lounge chair).
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...3106871/m/9611055371

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't some Forum Biodiesel Expert ™ © ® Pat Pend claim that this was the only safe way to make BD?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only use SVO but I have seen more than a few explosions in my day. I guess Rick has never seen a real explosion. That was just bad advice. A person without a head is something you will remember for at least the rest of the week.

It sounds like maybe you lost your head. Eek

I hope your posting was tongue in cheek. It appears to be an attack on Rick.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double D:
Looks like a fine piece of machinery to me Eek
I think HooknLine has first hand experience with that mixer. Lets see if He'll hold the drill.
I'm willing to stand outside and look for the EPA agents.
Lets see all we need is someone with a thermometer to hover over the tank and someone that can do a Tie..Tye..Titration.
We're looking for applicants?

Make megabucks working from home.
No experience necessary.

Sorry DD, not holding that drill or any other drill for that matter while making bio. Wink
Dude is just asking for an accident. But at least he has the lid on. Oh yeah, turn that fan on...LOL