BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS





Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Tragic death from cutting into drum of peppermint oil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Tragic death from cutting into drum of peppermint oil
 Login/Join
 
Member
posted
I saw this on the news and thought I would put it out there as a warning to others. Apparently the 18 year old boy was cutting into the used peppermint oil drum with some type of power saw to make a BBQ when it exploded... What a tragic accident that never should have happened... Red Face
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/h...n/4848686/story.html
 
Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Good post Jon-hopefully will warn others-if only someone could have told him-tragic waste of a life
 
Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Probably caused by sparks from an abrasive cutting wheel. I've used oxy-acetylene and arc welding on washed drums, but I either add enough water to cover the welding area, or put an air hose inside and continuously purge any vapors while torch cutting. Or, I use a cold chisel to take drum tops off.

I wouldn't have guessed the peppermint oil was that dangerous. Thanks for the eye-opener.
 
Location: Lincoln County Maine | Registered: June 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourth Way Man:

I wouldn't have guessed the peppermint oil was that dangerous.


I picked up a drum that had contained it about a year ago. the drum was missing the 1" bung so I was careful to put that side to teh top in the back of my station wagon for the trip home.
The smell of the stuff was overpowering and incredible. I thought the drum must have had a leak so stopped to check but it was fine all the smell was coming from the bit of air circulating through the single small hole! Didn't matter if I had all the windows open or closed, the aroma was enough to bring streaming tears to my eyes.

The experience of the trip home was enough to motivate me to wash that drum real well before I cut it and I also put a flexible hose attached to a generator into teh drum to evacuate it of oxygen while I cut the thing.

It sure smells nice in limited amounts be seems to be powerful stuff!
 
Registered: July 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Good post Jon, very sad to say the least! What galls me most at this point is this incident continually gets referred to as an accident, accident be damned, this is the result of GROSS negligence on the part of the shop instructor!!!
As you know I have been involved in the welding industry for near 50 years, while in the RCAF oil tank welding was a daily occurrence, never ever did one blow up. SAFETY procedures must be followed; tanks must be steamed prior to cutting or welding. Now I know most here don’t have access to steam but we do have cars, evaluate the oxygen from the tank with car exhaust! When the tank is warm to touch it will be safe to work on. keep the exaust flowing for the duration of the work. As mentioned in a previous post it is safer to weld on a full tank than one that is empty, there is some truth to that but it is not something you could pay me to do. I know an someone who was sitting on an empty soap drum that blew up instantly when he tried to cut it with a tourch.
The subject of drum and propane tank cutting and welding has been bantered around on this forum many times I shudder at some of the advise that has been given Tom


" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.
 
Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
accident be damned, this is the result of GROSS negligence on the part of the shop instructor!!!

That is exactly what I said to my wife when I heard the news, that and "he should be in jail"... Truly unbelievable. If the guy was by himself under no supervision and without a clue I could understand it, but for it to be a shop assignment and happen right in the shop class??? This is the place where safe practices are supposed to be learned... Confused
Jon
 
Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post



member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it wasn't even the boy doing the cutting that died. The project next to him exploded and he took the brunt of it. The boy who was actually building the grill is injured but alive.
 
Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Tragic death from cutting into drum of peppermint oil

© Maui Green Energy 2000 - 2014