BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Biodiesel Safety
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel Safety
 Login/Join

posted
Everyone's had their share of accidents in life. Some resulted in major damage, but most were minor. All presented opportunities to learn.

Someone besides me, please start new threads under the Biodiesel Safety heading to answer the following questions and whatever else the community can come up with:

1. Will static electric charges start biodiesel on fire? Methanol? Ethanol?

2. Can the expansion of biodiesel or WVO from heating cause a reactor explosion, or explosion of a fuel tank?

3. Can biodiesel or WVO be harmful to animals that lick up spills or what not?

4. What types of tools should never get near a biodiesel reactor? Torches, hot glue guns, belt sanders?

5. Will your insurance pay for chiropractor visits if you slip in a pile of grease slop?

6. What if your neighbor comes over and slips in a pile of grease slop?

7. Should methanol vapor detectors be required, or can adequate ventilation be relied upon?

8. Can chemicals used for cleaning grills in restaurants be a fire hazard if they are in grease one collects?

9. Should one tell their wife before or after they pay for an old diesel truck to park in the driveway and play with all summer?

9b. What is the best placement of pressure release valves for avoiding steam burns?

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10. Have Appleseed Reactors and open top reactors stirred with a drill been shown to be dangerous methods of making biodiesel, and should they be avoided?

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
11. How to safely cut a steel drum? Grinder, jig saw, sawzall, chisel?

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why post new threads?

1. No, yes, yes.
2. No.
3. Not unless excessive amounts are ingested.
4. Anything that sparks. Good thing the 'seed is fumeless.
5. Yes.
6. Pay his/her bills.
7. Never ventilate vapor in the workspace. Detectors highly recommended.
8. NBL.
9. Depends.
9b. Huh?
10. Discussed to death. Done.
11. Sawsall.

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't resist Smile
1. Yes, yes, yes
I heard on NPR about a guy whose car caught on fire from the static electricity that built up from his wool sweater and nylon jacket rubbing together. If you can burn a car down, you can probably burn bio down. I wouldn't say it's not possible.
2. Possibly, It would depend on where the excess goes after being expelled. I had an explosion similar to this once after eating at the Asian Buffet.
3. Yes, There have been numerous reports of Rats/ mice being presumably drown in containers of oil.
4.Thermite
5.Not without a fight, I'm sure of that.
6.Offer them a beer first thing and make sure they drink it, then call your insurance agent they are really good at not paying for anything.
7.Put your gas detector in a well ventilated area.
8.Anything can be a hazard once it's on fire.
9.After, Always. You know what they say about permission and forgiveness.
9b. Avoid them all together, so they don't burn you.
10. If only I could figure out how to get a drill in my appleseed.
11. Sawzall, It's a must have tool for everyone.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double D:
9.After, Always. You know what they say about permission and forgiveness.

Ha! 'It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.' I live my life based on this principal.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, hard to keep the answers straight without the question there too.

quote:
1. Will static electric charges start biodiesel on fire? Methanol? Ethanol?

-No, yes, yes
-yes, yes, yes
-No (open flame won't unless aerosolized), yes, yes

quote:
2. Can the expansion of biodiesel or WVO from heating cause a reactor explosion, or explosion of a fuel tank?

-no
-Possibly, It would depend on where the excess goes after being expelled. I had an explosion similar to this once after eating at the Asian Buffet.
-explosion: no. Violent rupture spraying fuel or WVO into places that THEN could cause an explosion: maybe.

quote:
3. Can biodiesel or WVO be harmful to animals that lick up spills or what not?

-Not unless excessive amounts are ingested.
-Yes, There have been numerous reports of Rats/ mice being presumably drown in containers of oil.
-"Not unless excessive amounts are ingested." Ditto.

quote:
4. What types of tools should never get near a biodiesel reactor? Torches, hot glue guns, belt sanders?

-Anything that sparks. Good thing the 'seed is fumeless.
-Thermite
-I'd go one step further and say anything generating heat. A heat gun too close to a plastic tube could do a lot of damage if the tube softened too much. A space heater: same thing

quote:
5. Will your insurance pay for chiropractor visits if you slip in a pile of grease slop?

-yes
-Not without a fight, I'm sure of that.
-probably, especially if you are vague on the claim. "Slipped in the garage..."

quote:
6. What if your neighbor comes over and slips in a pile of grease slop?

-pay his/her bills
-Offer them a beer first thing and make sure they drink it, then call your insurance agent they are really good at not paying for anything.
-no idea

quote:
7. Should methanol vapor detectors be required, or can adequate ventilation be relied upon?

-Never ventilate vapor in the workspace. Detectors highly recommended.
-Put your gas detector in a well ventilated area.
-required: no. Recommended: certainly. Ventilation: I still wouldn't stay in the shop ALL day. Come up with some excuse to go outside as often as possible; no point trusting anything 100%

quote:
8. Can chemicals used for cleaning grills in restaurants be a fire hazard if they are in grease one collects?

-NBL
-Anything can be a hazard once it's on fire.
-in terms of a bad side reaction? Not likely.

quote:
9. Should one tell their wife before or after they pay for an old diesel truck to park in the driveway and play with all summer?

-Depends
-After, Always. You know what they say about permission and forgiveness.
-Ditto on permission and forgiveness!

quote:
9b. What is the best placement of pressure release valves for avoiding steam burns?

-Huh?
-Avoid them all together, so they don't burn you.
-Overhead with the exhaust run outside

quote:
10. Have Appleseed Reactors and open top reactors stirred with a drill been shown to be dangerous methods of making biodiesel, and should they be avoided?

-Discussed to death. Done.
-If only I could figure out how to get a drill in my appleseed.
-Either done wrong has been shown to be unnecessarily risky. Either done right has been shown to be capable of having the risk controlled.

quote:
11. How to safely cut a steel drum? Grinder, jig saw, sawzall, chisel?

Sawsall.
Sawzall, It's a must have tool for everyone.
Fill it with water and do whatever you want...well, still don't try it with Thermite.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post